101 uses for toilet roll insert

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
blathanna
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi thomas, well done you, Must try that. Neat trick :lol:

Russian Doll
A selfsufficientish Regular

how about colouring them in and setting your kids a challenge...who can build the tallest tower...it keeps them used for ages and they love knocking it down :lol:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

break into small pieces, soak in water overnight.

next day put in a blender or something similar, blend to a pulp. take a wire coathanger , pull into a diamond and stretch an old pair of tights over it. over the sink or somewhere in the garden pour out the sloppy mix onto the tights.

squeeze out as much water as you can using more tights or a rag on top of your stretched hanger device.

slop the resulting brown mess out onto some clean rags and place in a warm dry area for a few days.

sell for a stupid price to people via ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-A4-BEST-EBAY-V ... dZViewItem
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Smooth Hound
Living the good life
Living the good life

mix your old chip pan/ frying pan oil with saw dust and fill them up as fire lighters.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Use as turrets on a carboard box castle :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

kimmie
Tom Good
Tom Good

sorry going back to using them as planters for seedlings...my grandad would put a thin layer of newspaper in them to stop the soil falling out...plant his bean seeds and when they were shooting put the whole lot into the ground where he needed them!

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

32 (I think)
I use them for winding off the single spinning of wool from my spindle - then thread them onto an old curtain wire for plying
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

rmenmuir
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Toilet roll uses

I've been using old TRs and kitchen rolls as potting containers for a couple of years now. They work very well and biodegrade in the soil very quickly when planted out. Initially I had the problem that the compost fell out but now I make sure to tamp down the compost at the bottom. I've never had the problem of the TRs disintegrating with watering. It helps to put a large number together in a tray and that way they hold up well. Also, I cut the rolls in half to get get 2 pots from each roll - so double your fun! :lol:

ina

Re: Toilet roll uses

rmenmuir wrote:I've never had the problem of the TRs disintegrating with watering. It helps to put a large number together in a tray and that way they hold up well.
Due to the low temperature in my living room the seeds often take very long to germinate - that's why sometimes the rolls don't hold up long enough! I always stick 6 or 8, depending on size, in one of those fruit punnets; they are ideal.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)