Books on preserving

By popular demand - The book review section.
QuakerBear
A selfsufficientish Regular

Books on preserving

My amazement at the freezer in my new flat has meant I'm becoming interested in all the different and tasty ways you can preserve food, from jam-ing to salting to pickling to drying.

Are there any books anyone would recomend?

Thank you.
QuakerBear

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I recently got Marguerite Patten's Jams, Preserves and Chutneysout of the library, if I had more time on my hands, I would have tried some of the recipes. It looks really good, I will get it out again when I am less busy.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

Annpan wrote:I recently got Marguerite Patten's Jams, Preserves and Chutneysout of the library, if I had more time on my hands, I would have tried some of the recipes. It looks really good, I will get it out again when I am less busy.
I have that book - have got some paperclips in it to mark recipes I've done/doing...
I also have two WI books, one authored by Mary Norwak - The Complete Book of Home Preserving (my charity shop copy has clippings of other recipes glued in!) covering bottling, freezing, salting & smoking, potting, drying, clamping & cellaring, preserves, candying & crystallizing. The other is Jams, Pickles & Chutneys.
Another nice book is Present from the Kitchen, covering preserves, pickles, marinades as well as herb oils & vinegars, liqueurs....

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Preserving By Oded Schwartz published by DK (Dorling Kindersley) 1996 is the best book I have found, gives all basic principles of preserving plus excellent recipes and nice colour photos.

Chickenlady

There seems to be loads of information on pickles and preserves, and on freezing, but not that much on drying, storing, etc. I bought a small but quite useful book from CAT a few years ago by Piers warren, How to Store your Garden Produce, I think it is called. It is fairly slender with not much detail, though. Good for a beginner.

I think there is a serious gap in the market for a good book on this subject!
Haste makes waste

Shirley

greenbean wrote:Preserving By Oded Schwartz published by DK (Dorling Kindersley) 1996 is the best book I have found, gives all basic principles of preserving plus excellent recipes and nice colour photos.
Yes.. this is a great book... last time I looked I couldn't find it for less than about £50 - not looked for a year or so though.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

farmerdrea
Living the good life
Living the good life

My favourite one is a very basic book, called Putting Food By. Can't remember the author offhand, but it's a Rodale Press book, and it's been in and out of print for a long time, with a number of editions. I have a couple of them myself, and I use it every year at preserving time.

Cheers
Andrea
New Zealand

QuakerBear

Thanks guys.
QuakerBear

contadina

I picked up the Agricultural & Food Research Council book of Home Preservation of Fruit and Vegetables at Amazon ISBN 0-11-242864-9 it covers most areas.

QuakerBear

I've just asked a colleague to buy the Oded Schwartz one for me from the internet.

Yeah, can't wait for it to arrive.
QuakerBear

Chickenlady

farmerdrea wrote:My favourite one is a very basic book, called Putting Food By. Can't remember the author offhand, but it's a Rodale Press book, and it's been in and out of print for a long time, with a number of editions. I have a couple of them myself, and I use it every year at preserving time.

Cheers
Andrea
New Zealand
That looks very good - and a bit cheaper than the Oded Schwartz one...I have just bought it used from Amazon. Thanks!
Haste makes waste

Cheezy

preserved is quite good. Basic in some places, but does cover examples of all the main way of preserving, from salting to smoking,jams,pickles etc.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

QuakerBear

Just got a copy of Oded Swartz, he's great. Thanks for the recomendation chaps.
QuakerBear

Chickenlady

:mrgreen: And I got the Putting Food By one. It looks very good as well.
Haste makes waste