101 ethical and ecological ideas for Xmas/Winter decs

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

are cranberries an ethical choice? thought they were imported..
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

:roll: rosehips then. and once dried they can go in rosehip jelly.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

gigglybug

Are we on 19?

19. You could paint penne pasta all different colours, thread onto string and hang up around the room.

Great for getting little ones involved. But not if you have a beige carpet!!! :shock:

mrsflibble

wow i love that one, you can get asda smartprice ones for 19p per 500g.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

ina

To be honest - I can't think using (abusing) food in this way should be called ethical... Or am I too PC here, and a terrible spoilsport? :?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

mrsflibble

what about if she painted it with Langdale's food colourings? then it could still be eaten.

and Langdale's are both cheap and natural.

ina

Why not make paper chains?
Ina

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

20. on an ethical and edible thread.... ginger biscuits (iced or un-iced) cut out in christmassy theme cookie cutters, with ribbon through them to hang on the tree.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

red

21 bay leaves can be sewn with ribbon to make lovely chains. helps if you have your own bay tree....
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

JasonP71
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

What about the old humble pine cone... they're really decorative and just lying around on the floor?

We always make something for each other to celebrate Yule, and my son made a lovely reindeer tree hanger from a pinecone (body), acorn (head), twigs (antlers), old string (legs) and acorn 'hats' for the hooves.

Also, what about buying a growing christmas tree and keeping it all year round? We also saw a website last week where you could hire a growing tree for christmas...

We bought solar glowing lights last year from Maplins and hung them in the apple tree.

Jason.

ina

Crack walnuts very carefully, so you have two entire halves. Poke out nuts (and eat!), glue halves together again with coloured ribbon/wool or whatever in between to hang them from. You could paint the nuts first, too.

We used to make stars from straw when I was little. You could buy special straw for that - bits like drinking straws, short and straight. They had to be split and ironed for certain star forms, and then they were cut to size and bound together with thread.
Ina

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

24. As I mentioned in a post elsewhere, braid long strands of ivy together to make garlands, wrap with strings of cranberries and popcorn and suspend cinnamon sticks and dried studded oranges or orange slices from them. Its true there are ethical concerns with cranberries, but you could always use home-grown, or as someone suggested, rose-hips. I've never found the cranberries to go mouldy either, they just dry out (even in my cold, damp little flat). The popcorn can be strung outside after the festive season for the birds to munch, though they don't seem too interested in the cranberries. And using food as decoration at Yule is traditional, as well as symbolising the impending return of the sun (in the case of red or orange fruit), it can symbolise the fruit laden branches of the previous harvest (and also the following harvest as a bit of sympathetic magick) and is also part of the idea of having plenty during the darkest and coldest point of the year. If people from a time before supermarkets and the like could manage to use foodstuffs in such a way, I see no reason why we today shouldn't.
Harm None!

hedgewitch

25. Collect little twigs and glue gun them together to make stars.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Amaranth
Tom Good
Tom Good

30 (I think) ) Bowls of red and green apples.

31) Nontoxic wreaths with bunches of round red radishes tied or wired on. Mist them with drinkable water to keep them plump and then you can eat them when you take the radishes off.

cinders
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

not sure this has been said.

Tie plastic bag strips to an opened out hanger to make a wreath