Hugh's Chicken Run - tonight, C4, 9pm

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
hamster
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hugh's Chicken Run - tonight, C4, 9pm

Hugh's Chicken Run is on later. Might be a bit distressing, but looks very interesting. It starts off 'The Big Food Fight', a fortnight of programmes about food and why it matters.

Entire schedule:

Hugh's Chicken Run - 7, 8, 9 Jan, 9pm
The Truth About Food - 10 Jan, 9pm
Jamie's Fowl Dinners - 11 Jan, 9pm
Fast Food Junkies go Native - 15 Jan, 9pm
Jamie's Eat To Save Your Life - 16 Jan, 10pm
It's Not My Fault I'm Fat - 17 Jan, 9pm
Gordon Ramsay: Cookalong Live - 18 Jan, 9pm
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

hamster

Link to the Channel 4 'Big Food Fight' website:

http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/the- ... fight.html

Link to HFW's Chicken Out! campaign:

http://www.chickenout.tv/

Millymollymandy

I'm beginning to think those adverts for Jamie/Hugh/Gordon out in the wilds camping is just for the adverts...... I thought it was going to be a great fun series. :cry:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

damnit! there's something up with my aerial... or my freeview, one or the other 'cos we've lost C4's group of channels, plus all ITV based ones but ch5 has become incredibly clear rather than bouncing and squeaking all the time.

no idea why though 'cos the aerial's not moved.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for the reminder. I'm intrigued to see what Channel four produce

hamster

MrsF, I am out tonight and tomorrow, so will already be taping those two, and am quite happy to carry on taping any of the programmes you want to watch and to post you the video (can't do DVD I'm afraid) if you like?

red

think its going to be depressing viewing...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Hugh's Chicken Run - tonight, C4, 9pm

hamster wrote:Hugh's Chicken Run is on later. Might be a bit distressing, but looks very interesting. It starts off 'The Big Food Fight', a fortnight of programmes about food and why it matters.

Entire schedule:

Hugh's Chicken Run - 7, 8, 9 Jan, 9pm
The Truth About Food - 10 Jan, 9pm
Jamie's Fowl Dinners - 11 Jan, 9pm
Fast Food Junkies go Native - 15 Jan, 9pm
Jamie's Eat To Save Your Life - 16 Jan, 10pm
It's Not My Fault I'm Fat - 17 Jan, 9pm
Gordon Ramsay: Cookalong Live - 18 Jan, 9pm
Looks interesting if potentially depressing - but may have to set the video. That's 10pm for me, and OH and I are having a concerted effort to go to bed earlier .... so I get up on time and do not have the usual mad rush for the school bus .... (lol)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've no TV

Any kind soul willing to DVD record it :mrgreen:

Only have a DVD player... on the laptop :(

(I know I'm a cheeky monkey, but, you don't ask, you don't get :wink: )
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

The Hopefuls
Tom Good
Tom Good

i enjoyed watching it, it opened my eyes to how chickens were raised for supermarkets

hamster

Annpan wrote:I've no TV

Any kind soul willing to DVD record it :mrgreen:

Only have a DVD player... on the laptop :(

(I know I'm a cheeky monkey, but, you don't ask, you don't get :wink: )
Only have it on video. Can you use '4 on demand'? I've never got it to work, but you might be cleverer than me...

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bugger, i meant to record it. i wonder if they'll repeat it at some silly time in the morning.

npsmama
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Tonight's Chicken Run wasn't brilliant to be honest...he was setting up things (an intensive poultry farm and a free range one) for the next step...so you haven't missed anything earth shattering.

QuakerBear

I watched all but the very end of this last night and I thought it was surprisingly good. HFW could have gone in there and told the people of Axminster how bad they are to be hurting all those chickens and that money doesn't matter. But he didn't.

I found this a good lesson for me. If I want people to live and buy more ethicaly I can't criticise them personally and ignore their economic needs. I suppose I have to be more subtle. So well done HFW.

The other point that occered to me is this: If meat is going to become more expensive to buy due to rising production costs, that are in turn due to bettered living conditions, we as a society have two options. 1. Eat more offal, by using all of the animal each animal will bring farmers more revenue and consumers will still be able to eat meat everyday. 2. Accept that we can't eat meat everyday. I'm already doing option two (meat a couple of times a week) and it's not bad, I don't feel deprived.
QuakerBear

Cheezy

QuakerBear wrote:I watched all but the very end of this last night and I thought it was surprisingly good. HFW could have gone in there and told the people of Axminster how bad they are to be hurting all those chickens and that money doesn't matter. But he didn't.

I found this a good lesson for me. If I want people to live and buy more ethicaly I can't criticise them personally and ignore their economic needs. I suppose I have to be more subtle. So well done HFW.

The other point that occered to me is this: If meat is going to become more expensive to buy due to rising production costs, that are in turn due to bettered living conditions, we as a society have two options. 1. Eat more offal, by using all of the animal each animal will bring farmers more revenue and consumers will still be able to eat meat everyday. 2. Accept that we can't eat meat everyday. I'm already doing option two (meat a couple of times a week) and it's not bad, I don't feel deprived.
I thought it was a good programme, BUT realistically as a TV programme he's mainly preaching to the converted. Most people I think will have activily avoided watching so not to upset themselves were their food comes from.
I though his local initiative schemes good and probably will be more effective.
As usual we got the same old " I can't afford to pay more for my food" bit, but then at the same time one woman was feeding her dog with the second BOGOF chicken. And the guy who cooked his Sunday lunch, actually ate the whole bird on his own!. Last night our tea was home made leek and potato soup with home made bread it cost next to nowt and was delicious. These people who wont pay more for their meat, also expect to eat meat every day.
People think the supermarkets are doing a good job with the BOGOF's but actually it's the producer that has to pay for them. This drives down any profit, and therefore they have to pack more birds into an area to make it viable.THat's why I think HFW going the right way about this issue, don't beat the battery farmer over the head about his practices, as its the super markts that are forcing them into the practice.In an earlier programme HFW did when visiting a battery farm the farmer told him if he offered 10p per bird that would be more than he gets from the supermkts.
What hasn't come across yet about battery chicken is that they are actually not the low fat meat people think they are. I saw a programme at some point that showed they are about 30% fat. Think about it if you sat on a chair for 23 hours a day eating for 35 days , you would mostly put on fat.
We eat orgainic chicken bought direct from my local farm, it costs a lot, but we eat chicken 2 or 3 times a MONTH, and when I say chicken that might be a breast between 2 people (they are huge) or a pair of thighs.
When cooked they are much more meaty ,flavoursome, and contain less fat. If you cook a battery chicken at least 30% is going to be lost.
You do not need to eat meat every day. If you want to then fine it'll cost.
As a society we throw out 6.7 million tonnes of food waste a year in our house hold waste alone, not taking into account, business's,restaurant,supermkts etc.
If food was more expensive people might learn to be more thifty,eat less, eat a better diet (in season vege's are cheap!) throw away less. As a result we and our environment would benefit, along with the welfare of the animals.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli