101 reasons to love Freecycle

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I found it really handy at first getting all the emails, as you can see them at the same time as everyone else and it is good to respond quickly to an offer or a wanted item. However I got sick to the back teeth of so many 'foriegn students looking fo laptop, must run windows xp or vista' :roll: there were at least 3 a week, I doubt they were genuine. I also had people wanting to come and look at the things I was offering before they decided to take them, I had to inform them that I am not a bleedin' shop, its a free offer and I don't have time to hang around waiting for people to browse around my stuff.

On a more possitive note, I have now heard back from the Freecycle UK people and they are proccessing another application for a new group in my area, YIPEE. I am hoping for more handy and less devisive swaps in the future.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

zombiecazz
Tom Good
Tom Good

34. NEEPS (were I first heard of the group
35. Wool
36. shelving units
37.garden shelving unit
38. sleeping bags ( great for keeping warm on the couch during the cold winter)
39. Some fantastic people, whom I have spend ages chatting too.
My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here; My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer.

My website:http://scottishcountrylife.110mb.com

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

40. Space :mrgreen: new home found for various pieces of furniture that my son 'left' with us and then forgot about until he'd moved and no longer had room
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

hamster

41. 3 1-gallon glass demijohns, bit dirty but in good condition, which the lady who was freecycling them very kindly dropped round to the house.

(Sorry to drag up the old thread, but seemed sillier starting a new one.)
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

snapdragon

hamster wrote:41. 3 1-gallon glass demijohns, bit dirty but in good condition, which the lady who was freecycling them very kindly dropped round to the house.
:lol: a lady came to collect two demijohns from us last month

42. My first sheepfleece was from freecycle - :cheers:
43. Am about to 'rationalise' the contents of the bookshelves and freecycle the excess (either that or use them as insulation)
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind

citizentwiglet

44: Getting to swap my never-used George Foreman grill for a big bag of clothes for the sprog and a potty.

(And we are the delivering types too - we went for years without a car and know how hard it can be for people with small children to travel large distances on public transport, so as long as we are heading in that general direction anyway, we're happy to deliver. Takers are generally very understanding about you dropping an item off when you can rather than making a special trip.)
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Thurston Garden

45. 5 rusty 7.50*R16 land rover wheels with decent tyres on em. Cleaned and painted up a treat!

46. Two nice old wooden book cases - still waiting to be waxed :oops:

47. Old 'executive' desk which makes a fantastic central bench in the middle of my garage (well workshop - garages are for keeping stuff in and pottering in certainly not for housing cars!)

Offered a large number of red quarry tiles and 3 years worth of well read land rover mags.

Will be collecting a load of sandstone for a retaining wall and have a bid in for some flagstones - might as well make the most of the loan of my old man's trailer!
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Helsbells

A wind up radio for me!

snapdragon

Helsbells wrote:A wind up radio for me!
woooo hoooo :mrgreen: I got one for Yule from the Dragon - it has a torch and a solar panel to top up as well

:cheers: hooray for wind ups :cheers:

Busy Bee

48. A Welsh Dresser!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

49. getting rid of all the crap left behind by the last tenants of our house. all the crap that doesn't belong to the landlord lol!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

ina

snapdragon wrote:
Helsbells wrote:A wind up radio for me!
woooo hoooo :mrgreen: I got one for Yule from the Dragon - it has a torch and a solar panel to top up as well

:cheers: hooray for wind ups :cheers:
Can't believe that somebody would freecycle one - it's the only one I use nowadays! If I had a second one, I wouldn't have to move the one around the house all the time... :?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Jez
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

50 - Wood stove
52 - minidisc player
53 - got rid of water butt

Should really start a 101 irritating things about freecycle - ie large number of emails about an item, but no-one turns up to collect when you've waited in - and the speed with which stuff goes now. You literally have to reply within seconds of a good item going on now.
People who don't work during the day, but go round siphoning off the best items to re-sell while I am working. (I suspect these just exist in my imagination!)
Last edited by Jez on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ina

Should really start a 101 irritating things about freecycle - ie large number of emails about an item, but no-one turns up to collect when you've waited in - and the speed with which stuff goes now. You literally have to reply within seconds of a good item going on now.
People who don't work during the day, but go round siphoning off the best items to re-sell while I am working. (I suspect these just exist in my imagination!)[/quote]

Reading "item taken" before you even get the "item offered" mail... Happens all the time. And I'm always too late for the few things I could really use. :(
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Thurston Garden

54.....wait for it......a Kenwood Chef! The lady had 3 to 'cycle, so I was a lucky boy and got one :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Just made a tray bake in it....me thinks we are going to put on lots of weight :shock:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)