Shower question

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Macha
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Shower question

Hi, after working out our carbon footprint we are really trying to reduce our home and appliances levels to make up for our horrendous transport portion (OH has a crappy old transit from work that his boss is very slow to replace).
The main thing we are stuck on is bath V shower as ours is a power shower and I don't think it is using any less water that the bath would.

What do you guys think?

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

If your shower is over the bath just put in the plug before you have your shower, then you can see how much you use.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Macha
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

It is seperate, but if the plug trap gets a bit blocked the tray will get to the point of overflowing, I set am alarm for two mins when I'm in there but even that seems to use a hell of a lot of water.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Reduce the number of times you have a shower: it's much more efficient to strip wash...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

room101
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

What make and model is the shower, the manufacturers website will tell you how much water it uses per min...

Macha
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

its a mira 415, just off to google them now.

Macha
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Between 8-15l of water a minute.
I'm going to bail out little ones bath tonight with the liter jug and see how much is in there.

room101
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

A typical bath uses between 60 to 100 liters.....

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

It shouldn't be difficult to change the showerhead for a water saving one. At least over here (Netherlands) all showerheads can be replaced using a spanner or a wrench. I just googled "water saving showerhead" and got many hits.

Best regards, Jandra

QuakerBear

Wow, that's a big difference between an average shower and bath.

If you don't have a shower though you can still save a lot of water while having baths if you just share the bath. As one gets out, one gets in. Water's still hot and clean (day to day most of us aren't really that dirty) and straight away you've halved your water consumption.
QuakerBear

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I certainly don't shower or bath every day - a wash of the important bits is fine. I really do not understand the mentality that says you are not clean unless you have showered/bathed every day. As far as I am aware I do not smell and I (usually :oops: ) manage to get all the dirty streaks off with a flannel.

And if the boys have a bath, one of us always tries to jump in afterwards.

eccentric_emma

i dont shower every day either and OH and I share the bathwater - helikes it boiling hot and i like it warm so by the time he's done, the waters perfect for me.

I read somewhere that if you have a power shower you could fill the head with marbles to decrease the flow - but i havent tested that out.
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

ina

eccentric_emma wrote: I read somewhere that if you have a power shower you could fill the head with marbles to decrease the flow - but i havent tested that out.
Make sure you screw the head back on tight - I have this image of a shower of marbles raining down on your head - ouch! :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Macha
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Bailed out littles bath last night, about 35l. I shower every other day, mainly just to wash my hair, OH showers everynight he is an ag fitter and comes home filthy, DS has 2-3 baths a week depending on what he's been playing in.
We have the head on it's lowest setting, I think the pipe is a bit too small to put marbles down. :wink:

getting there
Tom Good
Tom Good

I wish my ex flatmate had been more into conserving water. She would shower 3-5 times a day for about 10 minutes each time (and letting it run for about 10 minutes before getting in). Sometime if she felt especially dirty she would shower then soak in a deep bath then shower again. My power bill was $300(NZ) for the last month she was here :shock:
Just because I can't do everything I won't fail to do something.