Eco deoderant

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I've only tried a stainless steel lump on fishy or garlicky hands and it works wonders.
never tried a pitrock, but i did have a lush lavendar deo- it didn't last the whole day (even though I wash) and often it would drag my skin so much that i ended up with a rash under my left armpit which was like a friction burn. tres uncomfortable.
I'm still on the parabens too unfortunately.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had one of those too.
I think their stick style deos are great - aromaco and aromarant, but the powdery ones are useless!

I use aromaco layered with the coconut one. I like the smell of the coconut one!

I was given a recipe:

Natural Deodorants Recipe

25g Yellow Beeswax
15g Cocoa butter
15g Coconut oil
15 dps Thyme essential oil
15 dps Rosemary essential oil
25 dps Lavender essential oil
5ml Castor oil

Melt the beeswax, butters and oils in a double boiler. Allow to cool slightly then stir in the EO's. Pour into a twist up stick cylinder (like a large lip balm tube) and allow to set. One of the members suggested recycling old large 'Pritt Stick' like glue dispensers or old push up deodorant packaging.

I'm going to give it a go at the weekend and see how easy it is to make. Don't kow where i'm going to get the stick from though...

Clara

OOOOh good one, I´ll give that a go when I can source the ingredients here....

A couple of thoughts though...

Could this just be set into a bar shape, like the Lush ones, if you can´t find the required container?

For appropriate EOs I would also suggest Cypress and Geranium, as alternatives, for their properties of controlling excess perspiration (not stopping it) and balancing bodily secretions.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have no idea. i presume it can be set as a bar.

I'm going to give it a go at the weekend. Haven't got any thyme e/o though, so i might have to see if i can get some cypress or geranium and use that instead.

Still haven't got a clue about where to get a stick pot that bit though. Might have to see if i can steal one of my sisters old deodorants and wash it out.

eva
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I used to use the crystals every now and again, until an unfortunate intimate incident that involved getting aluminum salts in one's mouth . . . yeeeech! Like eating a green persimmon!

I've been concocting my own spray-on deodorant for a while:

-Witch hazel prepared in alcohol (bought in a bottle as astringent)
-Tea tree oil
-Jamine, vanilla, sandalwood, rose attar, whichever other essential oils you like

Mix maybe a half cup of witch hazel, a tablespoon of tea tree oil and 10 drops or so of other essentials (maybe one or two of rose attar, $$$!) put in an empty spray bottle (or mix it in the bottle) and shake. It will emulsify and turn white; be sure to shake it before every use, because it will separate.

The witch hazel is a bit astringent on your pores, keeps you from sweating so much, tea tree smells clean and keeps bacteria down, and everything else just smells nice. Also good for spraying in stinky shoes!!

Admittedly, I don't even really use it that often, unless I know I'll be really sweaty around a lot of people with whom I'm not close. Or I just dab a drop or two of sandalwood in my pits. Otherwise, I prefer just smelling like . . . me. :) Call me a cavewoman!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

eva wrote:I used to use the crystals every now and again, until an unfortunate intimate incident that involved getting aluminum salts in one's mouth . . .
:shock: :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

mrsflibble

erm... yeah, how?!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe there are some things it is better not to know (unless accompanied by video evidence :wink: )

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The deodorant comes out a bit like a thick lip balm - a stick one.
It could be set as a bar, but i think you might have to keep it in the fridge.

It smells lovely, and works nicely.

I'm well pleased with how its come out! I've called it Happy Herbal Deodorant.

Thurston Garden

Perhaps I am a complete minger, but when I stopped working (with other people!) I stopped using commercial deodorant. Not even my closest friends have said anything, so I am (possibly wrongly) thinking I smell fine....

I am intrigued by the Lush Aromaco bar but think it's a bit dear :oops: OK, perhaps not for special occasions! :love3:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

mrsflibble

this is the one which didnt work that well and gave me a sore armpit.
http://www.lush.co.uk/products/Lavender_2175.aspx

smelled nice as a bar though.

Busy Bee

hello :)

I bought a crystal a few weeks ago and both me and my husband are converts. I am a light perspirer and he has greasy skin and gets a bit whiffy by the end of the day even with deodorant. With the crystal we were both fresh. :)

We have the Tawas Crystal Deodorant Stone.

QuakerBear

Yesterday I bought one of the crystal deoderants. During February I shall be using a regular deoderant under my left arm and the crystal one under my right. I shall report back on my findings.
QuakerBear

ina

You know what's up when all your friends are sticking to one side of you! :wink:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Welsh Girls Allotment
Living the good life
Living the good life

:lol: