Can I "not buy anything new for a year?"

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
QuakerBear
A selfsufficientish Regular

On the subject of paper it's worth looking in detail at the product information on the paper. I've heard printers saying that allot of the recycled papers can be worse for the enviroment because of the elemental chlorine in bleaching them. I know it's time consuming but it's worth investigating your product.

This is a link to a paper merchant in the UK, it explains what all the differnt little logos mean. It's the best starting point I've found. You can see what the logos are and then go off and investigate them to see if they are just the industry giving itself an award or if they actually mean something. I'd also recomend investigating paper suplies to anyone who is responsible for stationery in an office.

http://www.ebbpaper.co.uk/definitions.php
QuakerBear

Thurston Garden

My great grand father used cut up newspaper (one would assume through habit rather than choice!) up until his passing away in 1986! :pottytrain5:

I think he would be very pleased with being posthumously mentioned on this site: he always warned of global warming, from when he saw his first car in the village; he used to give my gran a row for putting weeds in the bin - "you are throwing Norwood away!" (his house name) :lol:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Thurston Garden

Right I made the first purchase of the year - although as suspected, it was parts for glazing the Land Rover door. The old runners for the glass are knackered so if a job is worth doing.....And a headlamp - kind of necessary that.

Also bought a wee mobile for a 2 year old b'day present when in Amsterdam - bought in a Fair Trade shop though :cheers: Rather impressed cos we spotted it through a haze in an unknown part of the city - decided it was not the best time to buy it - wait until our last day when our heads are clear.... found the shop withough any bother!

The only other think I can think of on the horizon is some sensible shoes. Army surplus ones for me I think.
Thurston Garden.

Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Millymollymandy

2 year olds are using mobile phones now - what on earth is the world coming to???????

(I did finally realise (I HOPE! :shock: ) that you mean that kind of dangly mobile toy thingy). :lol:

Thurston Garden

Yep - dangly. Fabric. Colours. Bells. Lots of smiles. No Top Up Card required :wink:
Thurston Garden.

ina

Millymollymandy wrote:2 year olds are using mobile phones now - what on earth is the world coming to???????

(I did finally realise (I HOPE! :shock: ) that you mean that kind of dangly mobile toy thingy). :lol:
Glad I wasn't the only one to come to the wrong conclusion! :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

hamster

Millymollymandy wrote:2 year olds are using mobile phones now - what on earth is the world coming to???????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was my first thought as well!!
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

QuakerBear

2nd February 2008:

2m black ground plastic
1 pair new trousers
1 new book
QuakerBear

ina

Books are my downfall: Bought two new books (on beekeeping). Mind you, one of them is a present for a friend...
Ina

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

What a good thread, my sons are trained so well that if we run out of loo paper they go looking for the newspaper.
Andrea I also have used rags, I buy old towels from garage sales and rip them into face cloth sized pieces

hamster

Just bought some seed from the Real Seed Co (which is essential!) and cracked and bought 'The Fat of the Land' by John Seymour. Someone on another forum recommended it and I couldn't track it down very easily and I couldn't resist.....

ina

Spent £30.50 on presents for kids - I always have a load of stuff in stock, so that there's something there when a birthday comes along! All only smallish things, marbles, pocket games etc.
Ina

hamster

I bought MORE sewing bits, needles for my machine, some small scissors to replace the rubbish ones I had (this truly was an essential purchase :lol: ) and a dress pattern. I know, I know, it's not very frugal, but it's so pretty! Look: http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8283 ... ner&page=4

Never going to be able to do it, mind..... :lol:

red

i blew it with the spinning wheel...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

hmmm..so far this year...that i can remember:

1. Wool...lots and lots of wool. I suppose this was essential...i always NEED more wool...and it will get used!

2. Mobile phone - my old one got washed...i'm hoping to have this one for a good couple of years though. i do love it

3. Skirt

4. 1pr DMS, 2 pairs Boots. Can't. Resist. Boots.

5. Salopettes...for Solstice

6. Wind up lantern for tent

7. Books...lots and lots of books

I bought some 'new' trousers on Ebay as well...does that count? i did need new trousers, and i have stupidly long legs and can only get them from one of two shops...and they charge the earth so i buy from Ebay...and i didn't know they were new until they dropped through my door with the tags still on!!

Umm...i'm sure there's been more things...magazines...

Glasses! I had to buy 2 pairs of glasses, can't see without them...do thye count as essential? When i have to get new pairs, i resolve to send these to a developing nation, or whatever they do with those boxes of donated glasses in the shop...