Reusing/Recycling corks

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Reusing/Recycling corks

I found a great site today - I've been collecting wine bottle corks for ages now with a view of making a cork notice board and just happened to find this.... I've now got a much bigger plan as I now want to fill the wall behind my pc with corks having seen the pic on this site..... http://www.stratsplace.com/graphics/cor ... wall_1.jpg the guy who did it initially worked in a wine bar so I guess I'll have to drink a lot of wine to get anywhere near enough... actually I'll probably ask the local hotels/pubs to save their wine corks for me otherwise I'll be retired before I get it done.

Anyway - have a look - and if you can come up with any other suggestions for reusing/recyling corks then please post here.

http://www.stratsplace.com/how_corks.html
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

hedgewitch

Oh WOW!!!!!
That is awesome!!
What a great way to re-cycle corks, and I bet it helps insulate too. How eco friendly is that!
I LOVE it!
I'm gonna do the same, so shirlz.....I'll race ya!

*hic :drunken:
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Tigerhair

WOW

Perhaps we could save them for you and send them to you?
Tigz x

Shirley

yay!! the race is on.......

And YES... please do send the corks... pm and I'll email my address to you.

Shirlz xx
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Tigerhair

OK

Will start collecting them (don't drink huge amounts) and ask the people at work to do so, then I'll pm you! You must promise to post a picture of the finished work of art, though!

Smiles
Tigz x

Shirley

Ohhh i promise I promise!!

I've got a few already as I was saving them for a cork board but this is so much better!!!! Got a way to go yet though :D

Will take photo of proposed area first and give measurements... that's fair! Just give me time to tidy up LMAO!!!!

Shirlz xx
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

wulf

I've been saving corks for my parents for several years now - one of these days, they plan to make a cork board. I'll have to send them a link to this thread though to give them some encouragement!

Wulf

ina

Brilliant idea! I'll be collecting for you... (Good excuse to have a bottle or two at the weekend!) I can ask colleagues, too.

There's a charity in Germany, in a village called "Kork" (the German for cork), a workshop for disabled people, where they recycle corks into insulating material. Makes for a good slogan: "Korken für Kork" (corks for Cork)! We were "drinking for Kork" for many years... :drunken:

Ina

Chickenlady

A friend of mine made an excellent fly screen with his old corks, just by threading them through string, knotting it and adding another one. He hung them on an interesting nobbly bit of wood he found and hung it from the door. It looks most impressive!

I hate the plastic 'corks' you get now and try to avoid them. I tend to compost mine, but now I will keep them! ( A ready supply now that OH has started making his own wine...hic!)
Haste makes waste

Shirley

I love the idea of the fly screen - had thought about doing one of those too, but will need millions of corks lol.... still, a good thing to do at a party isn't it... or it could be a friendship curtain... have a different string for each friend and ask them to bring their own corks to add.

plastic corks - yeah. I don't like those, but more and more wines are using them these days. We did use a slice of one today actually as the foot of the sofa has lost it's little bit of plastic and was scratching the floor. Fixed now!

What kind of wines is your OH making? We want to make some too. We much prefer red wine but can't afford to keep buying it!

Shirlz xx
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Tigerhair

Corks

I have three so far for the collection :)
Tigz x

ina

The corks are rolling in! I'll send an SOS when I can't get out of my front door anymore... Seriously, two colleagues have sent me their collections so far (one of them anonymously - I wonder why!). If it keeps going like that, you can insulate your entire house with them soon. :wink:

Ina

Shirley

wow blimey Ina.... that's fantastic.

Hey... I've missed you... where you been :flower: ?

Shirlz xx
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Chickenlady

Shirlz2005 wrote:

What kind of wines is your OH making? We want to make some too. We much prefer red wine but can't afford to keep buying it!

Shirlz xx
He has started gently with a few wine kits, just to get the hang of it. The red came out really well, but the white was a bit sherryish. He will have a go with all the fruit from the allotment next - we still have loads in the freezer!
Haste makes waste

Chickenlady

BTW, Shirlz, he says with the kit it cost about £1.50 a bottle. It would be much cheaper from scratch, obviously, but possibly not so reliable.
Haste makes waste