Homemade hair dyes

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

you wont be lynched!! I stopped dying my hair years ago because it had got to the point where there were no conditioning agents that would save it. it had beenpermenantly dyed black for the best part of 5 years by that point. Rather than attempt a pre-lightening disaster again I optedto grow it out. I love my natural colour now, but from time to time I get very bored of my "look"- shoulder length and mousey.
I tire, however, of hairdressers taking my money and not doing whatI ask- they always go a step too far. so I stopped going to one.
My hair when well conditioned and left to dry naturally, has this lovely wave to it which I wish I had all the time. My auntie Deb has very very dark, wiry, curly hair which is just amazing yet she spends her effort trying to straighten and lighten it. As a teen I would have killed for Deb's hair!! But saying all this, my mum has hair which in its natural state does not suit her at all.

the pic below is the look I am aiming for again now. a good trim, few more inches and I'm there.
no treatments in this pic, I'd just washed and gone lol. this is me, oct 06 mid journey on the way back from Scotland, trying to work out where we were.

oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Martin

I like it! - and at the risk of being "personal" I really like your eyebrows too! :wink:
(why oh why do women pluck them to pieces?????? ) - so often much to the detriment of their overall looks? :dave:
Just love the "natural" look...........
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I only sort out my monobrow lol!!. I shave it, and I know that's a bad thing to do but I have a compulsive hair pulling problem called trichotillomania and I once ended up with half an eyebrow on each side so rather than risk that again, I just don't pluck.

and thanks martin. I like compliments lol!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fair point Martin!

But Mrs W has thing about grey hair and gets it sort of dyed. Anyway the last time it didn't turn out as planned and her hair went reddish. And I kind of have a "thing" for red hair so it made me all weak in the knees (as well as having some other side effects! :wink: :oops: ).

Overall...........................can't complain!

As for the green beard.......hemm, there's a thought! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Shirley

I colour my hair to hide the grey. I've simply got too much of it.

I did go through a spell of leaving it natural. I got it cut very short and I quite liked it, but then someone made a comment about my son.... and asked whether he would give his grannie a bozey (hug) - errrrm I wasn't impressed by that and out came the bottle again.

I DO HATE ROOTS though and have tried a variety of colours to try and minimize the root show but nothing so far has worked. Maybe I'll have another go at the very short and natural hair because I actually hate using the hair colour - it stings too.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Millymollymandy

I have mousey brown and it really doesn't suit me. I am so depressed seeing that colour in the mirror! I have had blonds highlights for about 20 years or more and that colour suits my pale skin tone.

The sad thing is I was born with lovely light blonde curly hair and now it's mousey and straightish (with some strange curly/wavy bits in the wrong places - i.e. I have ringlets in my fringe. :shock: It's just really wierd and drives me nuts). :cry: Basically I hate my hair and it is longer now and doesn't really suit me - but when it was short (like in that photo you all saw) it took sooooo much time to blow dry and 'glue' into place.

One of these days though I'll go back to that hair cut because I feel so drab at the moment.

ina

I've finally managed to get myself a date with the hairdresser - it'll be the usual "pre-lambing" cut, i.e. the shortest possible without actually shaving it off... So I don't have to worry about it (and don't have to use a comb!) for the next few months. :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't been to the hairdressers for years... in fact I have been 3 times in the last 7 years, and been dissapointed all but once - which was the week before my wedding, no idea why they couldn't get it right any other time :?

I cut it myself infront of the Bathroom mirror, I have it down to a fine art now... far better than costing me £40+ to feel like an eejit :mrgreen:

I used Caca Rouge, from Lush on my hair and the greys still haven't come through, it is quite close to my natural hair colour now so there are no roots. It started off bright red/auburn but fades after a month or so, which suits me fine... only problem is... it STINKS
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Shirley

Annpan wrote: I used Caca Rouge, from Lush on my hair and the greys still haven't come through, it is quite close to my natural hair colour now so there are no roots. It started off bright red/auburn but fades after a month or so, which suits me fine... only problem is... it STINKS

Is that why it's called Caca? :oops: :flower:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shirlz wrote:
Annpan wrote: I used Caca Rouge, from Lush on my hair and the greys still haven't come through, it is quite close to my natural hair colour now so there are no roots. It started off bright red/auburn but fades after a month or so, which suits me fine... only problem is... it STINKS

Is that why it's called Caca? :oops: :flower:
that and... it does have a rather odd consistancy when applying to your hair... :pale: :lol:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Annpan wrote: I cut it myself infront of the Bathroom mirror, I have it down to a fine art now... far better than costing me £40+ to feel like an eejit :mrgreen:
you're kidding me! That's over $80Aus for haircut? I pay $20!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Martin

ever since I foolishly wandered into a "unisex" hairdresser in the 70's, and was charged a fortune (about £8) for probably the worst haircut of my life, having the horror of being shoved in a flowery coverall, and seeing people have bits of hair pulled through holes in bathing hats and then chemicalised, I decided that if those morons who's sole conversation was "going anywhere nice for your 'ollidaze?" could do it, so could I........and have ever since "done it myself"........and saved fortunes...... :dave:
(I have no idea what a haircut costs these days! :mrgreen: )
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Millymollymandy

As soon as I saw you posting about hairdressers I knew I was going to chuckle, Martin. :mrgreen:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oi!!
Martin!!!

I have waist length Purple and pink hair and i love it! and it looks 100x better than the brown stuff that creeps through when the dye has washed out...

I use Directions Vegetable dye. Its semi permanent, and i leave it on for about 4 hours...

I can't go back to boring brown again! When my hair is its natural colour, it has no highlights and is a very flat colour.

I have dark eyes and eyebrows, so i go for plum - a dark purple and cerise - a bright rosy pink, and sometimes, when i'm feeling really daring, i put Midnight Blue in it too... Might do that Sunday... I think that my hair colour complements the rest of my colouring. It brings out my eyes, and makes my skin look less pallid - i've got a funny olivey colour skin (and i mean a funny olivey colour - its not olive, and its not pale, or pink, just a funny colour).

So, i am a fervent believer in dye!

I do share your concerns about hair dressers though - every time i've been, they've cut my hair to just below my shoulders, despite repeated requests to keep it long. Below the shoulders is long to a hairdresser... So i learnt to cut it myself, and invested in a pair of good hairdressing scissors. I cut Niks as well now...

ina

Wombat wrote: you're kidding me! That's over $80Aus for haircut? I pay $20!

Nev
You can get it cheaper. Nowadays I pay around £9.50; but I did once make the mistake and ask somebody for a recommendation for a hairdresser - and that cost me over £40, too.

I used to cut it myself when it was longer; I find it too difficult to get the back looking anything like straight when it is as short as I prefer it. And a tenner every two months - I can live with that.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)