trouble sighning in

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

trouble sighning in

over the last couple of days i have had trouble sighning in is it me and my fat fingers hitting the wrong keys :shock: or is it the server ,

thanks

all the best
Russ :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: trouble sighning in

old tree man wrote:over the last couple of days i have had trouble sighning in is it me and my fat fingers hitting the wrong keys :shock: or is it the server ,

thanks

all the best
Shouldn't be anything this end? Not sure mate, will have a look into it.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I noticed a bit of slowdown. I think that was my BT service provider, though.

Martin

I'll say it yet again - several times recently the site has been "hanging" badly when downloading - the "tell tale" of the status bar tells me it's that bloody Statcounter code that's doing it - until it's received a response from the overloaded Statcounter servers, the rest of the page can't load............
YOU DO NOT NEED IT! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Look in your control panel - under "logs" - the Awstats statistics alone give you far more than Statcounter ever can, they are completely accurate as they are generated by the server, and do not slow the whole site like Statcounter............
I could understand it if they served a useful purpose, but they don't - you're duplicating what you already have built-in.................. :geek:
I'm off for some primal scream therapy........keep telling them, they never listen............. :roll: :roll: :roll:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Martin

Here you go, swift cut and paste of what your Awstats give you...........:roll: :roll: :roll:

Summary
When:
Monthly history
Days of month
Days of week
Hours
Who:
Countries
... Full list
Hosts
... Full list
... Last visit
... Unresolved IP Address
Authenticated users
... Full list
... Last visit
Robots/Spiders visitors
... Full list
... Last visit
Navigation:
Visits duration
Files type
Viewed
... Full list
... Entry
... Exit
Operating Systems
... Versions
... Unknown
Browsers
... Versions
... Unknown
Referers:
Origin
... Refering search engines
... Refering sites
Search
... Search Keyphrases
... Search Keywords
Others:
Miscellaneous
HTTP Error codes
... Pages not found
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.

red

no trouble here - what happens when you try and log in OTM ?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Martin

it all depends how busy the internet is - over Easter it was quite marked - as mentioned every single page load is slowed by unnecessary code making a call on overloaded servers................. :roll:
The servers for the site itself are fine - it's the additional free stats service that's causing the problem........... :roll:
What happens is that the page starts to load, it gets as far as the javascript for Statcounter, which sends a request to their servers - until it receives a reply, the rest of the page can't load..........for people on dialup, or high- contention ratio broadband it will cause all sorts of problems due to unintentional time outs, partial loads etc........precisely the problems Russ describes...........:geek:
It's a bit like having a Ferrari with some stroppy sod walking in front with a Red flag............... :mrgreen:

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

yesterday it was telling me that it did not recognise my password and i know i did it right and after 5 times it blocked me out, then i tried it today and there was no problems,
maybe it was a glitch,
sorry i cant be more specific, i am a total computer neanderthall :naka:

i'll keep you updated as it is not a regular occurence, you never know it still may be me :oops: :oops:

all the best
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

red

sounds glitchy but not connected with the stats thing Martin is talking about.
boo - not fair. have not had any trouble here.. let us know if it keeps happening...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

Martin

do tell how you KNOW definitively that it couldn't possibly be anything to do with the Statcounter code! - I'm always willing to learn from an obvious expert! :mrgreen:

Shirley

I'm going to agree with Martin's comments here - the statcounter does appear to be slowing down my connection to the pages today.

OTM - have you tried clearing your cache lately? Whenever I have sign in problems I clear my cache and it sometimes sorts it out.

I use firefox and the cache is found under Tool >> options. May not help you but just thought I'd mention it.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

red

Martin wrote:do tell how you KNOW definitively that it couldn't possibly be anything to do with the Statcounter code! - I'm always willing to learn from an obvious expert! :mrgreen:
blimey Martin.. :roll: chill a little.... I did not say I knew.. i said 'it sounds like'...

I was basing it on the fact OTM said his password was not recognised... that does not sound like the system being slowed down to me.. but something wrong with the password. ok? just my opinion. assume I am ok having one of those today.....
Red

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

Well the best thing is to just stay logged in all the time. I can't understand why anyone would want to log out then log back in again every time they use the forum????? :?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Weeeelll ... because, just to be on the safe side, I clear out my web directories after every use, and that means that I am automatically logged off everything. Inconvenient, but at least I know that I've got rid of any spying cookies and time bombs.

Millymollymandy

You must be very good at remembering passwords then!

I hate clearing cookies because then I have to search through a load of paperwork to find passwords to various sites where they give you a password that contains a load of mixed letters and numbers........ nightmare!