What have you found lately?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Daveswife
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Never be too proud to pick up something in the street. Cycling to work lately I have picked up a few flower pots, a length of copper wire, and three 6-module thingys for seedlings, all just rolling about the street.

At a barn dancerecently the supper was pie and chips from the local chippy, I collected up the empty foil pie cases and have re-used them at home - perfect for freezing individual portions or my own pies.

I have let it be known amongst friends that I have started making wine and they are saving their wine bottles for me instead of recycling them, and for our home made beer the local pub has been saving pint bottles from a well known Irish cider brand. Alarmingly the suppliers of this trendy drink do not take their bottles back. What a waste.

"If you've got the fabric, I can run something up for you."

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

hi Daveswife welcome :flower:

wood out of skips mostly .. and himself came home with these lovely plastic boxes the mushrooms come in.. they go to landfill parantly..
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Stonehead

A rabbit by the roadside.

I left it where it was though, as it was bright red and the sort that needs batteries... :shock: :shock:

Not my sort of roadkill. :mrgreen:

Milims

Stonehead said "Not my sort of roadkill. "

You could end up knocking your teeth out with that sort of rabbit pie! :wink:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Smallholder1
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hanging baskets, a hot water tank cover (mine now has two!) and stuff that I can plant things in, in a skip.
Joseph Kennedy's most excellent band!
http://www.myspace.com/captivestatemusic

"Activism is the rent I pay for living on this planet" - Alice Walker

Esther.R
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Three perfect condition fish boxes (the heavy plastic trays used by fishing boats to pack fish) on the beach the other day. They make perfect big planters and already have drainage holes and carrying handles so you can shift them about. I grew a bumper crop of lettuces in one last year :lol:

Ali B

I got really lucky at the tip & got 3 terracotta plant pots that a woman was about to chuck. She clearly thought I was insane but they are lovely... I have no idea why she was throwing them...

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I found 3 big planters with trays, and a rosemary bush dumped by a path that take the dog down. Finlay was well impressed at having to walk home with me carrying someone else's junk!

Mainer in Exile

The last time we went out for a walk, my wife found a €10 note!

ina

Mainer in Exile wrote:The last time we went out for a walk, my wife found a €10 note!
Hey - I lost that last year when I was in Germany! :wink:

I think the wind has been blowing a lot around, too - at least my pots etc in the garden keep changing position... :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Thurston Garden

Years ago when cycling from Glencoe to fort William I found a big red screwdriver on the road - it is a prized tool, more so because I found it!

The other week I found a yellow reflective waistcoat thingy on the verge - I need one for an archaeology job so was able to stick it in the washing machine and return the one I had borrowed. I am eyeing up 4 kerbstones at the same bit - all abandoned by a contractor...
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

:cheers: a wheel barrow nieghbour was taking it to the dump ("said could i have it as barrow was in better nick than mine" and thought id just change the wheels over ) pumped his tyre up 2months later still inflated some people more money than brain cells.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

offcuts of plastic plumbing pipe - now a functioning loom :mrgreen:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

possum

A bread knife, found on the road outside. Which might not be so strange except that we have no neighbours and live down a no exit road and the only people to go down this road are those going fishing.
Opinionated but harmless

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

Stonehead said
A rabbit by the roadside.

I left it where it was though, as it was bright red and the sort that needs batteries...
I know I'm a bit late with this, but a few weeks ago there was a new series of Ladies of Letters on Woman's Hour, this time it was Ladies of Letters Go Green. I nearly cried with laughter with laughter when Patricia Routledge as Vera said she'd got several such 'rabbits', which had been abandoned by her daughter who claimed they were useless. Vera triumphantly exclaimed they made perfect dibbers for planting her spring bulbs. :mrgreen: