Wedding Flowers

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
Mydreamlife
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Wedding Flowers

We are getting married in July and would like to grow our own flowers. Ideally I would like lots :lol: as I want the day tpo reflect us and I love being outside with nature. However although I have enjoyd much succes with vege over the last couple of years, unfortunatly this has not been the case with anything decorative I have tried to grow. :oops:
Can anyone suggest anything that is reasonably easy to grow, likes little fuss but produces lots of flowers suitable for a a smart but not fancy wedding.
I would prefer they were available in a couple of colours as our 'scheme' is Red and white. :flower:
Any advice greatly revieved!

Claire and Nick :cooldude:
Behind every sucessful man is an fantastic woman!
Not sure who first said it or exact words but so very true!!

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

oh congrats

sweet peas?

you can get specific colours if you want.. like red you have to grow them up things, like a wigwam, so should be able to get a fair number of flowers out of a patch of ground. long flowering season, so long as you dead head the ones that have gone. not toooooo much hassle, and smell nice!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Not hugely prolific but what about some amaryllis? They'd be stunning for focal pieces, lilies are another bulb that's not too difficult to get going (in pots) and would be dramatic. Dahlias? I can''t think of any 'filling' flowers though apart from gypsophila but I have no idea how hard/easy that is to grow.

You could invest in a few gorgeous plants, scented roses, eucalyptus tree (for foliage) and have a growing memento of your day in the garden

Ooh and freesias grew quite well for me once, and gladioli (not sure about when they flower though... )

What about keeping some tulip bulbs back for a late flowering? Or would that be a bit too odd?

Sorry bit of a brain dump in that post, hope you grow something beautiful.

marshlander

alchemilla mollis is a lovely filler.
white foxgloves, teasels, acanthus, white roses of course, lillies, some of the euphorbias
Red flowers are more difficult as the wrong shade would clash - there are 'blue' reds and 'orange' reds. You can grow sunflowers Helianthus in red, cosmas versailes carmine, Liychnis (maltese cross), Poppy and there are some wondeful roses - david austin has some old fashioned scented varieties which I like much more than the too perfect florist roses. There are red lillies too - watch out for the pollen which stains.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

QuakerBear

Sweetpea. Abit boring but carnations are fairly easy to grow.
QuakerBear

Donna
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I would try a good mix of colors since it's for a wedding. Have you tried yet to talk to some florists near you what to plant? I'm pretty sure that if it's a small local flower store they will be happy to give you some advice. :)
A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.

teardrop
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

teardrop

My friend is getting married in August and growing HUGE quantities of sweet peas for the wedding. I think they are having the boquets made by a local florist but all other flowers will be simple, home-grown sweet-peas.

I think it will look lovely.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

we had sweet williams for our july wedding - lol I had totally forgotten about floral decorations and dashed to the florist on the friday and grabbed what they had left - smelled super :mrgreen: and would make a scented filler too
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

cinders
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

ivy would look lovely trailing in a bouquet
Babies breath

MrsD'ville
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi. We got married August 2006, and were also planning to use sweetpeas as the most exquisite wild sweetpeas grow in profusion where we were living then. I read up on it though and it turns out that on a warm day cut sweetpeas out of water will wilt in minutes, which probably isn't what you're aiming for!

How about nasturtiums? Or even bean flowers?? In the end I carried a beautiful Edwardian feather fan instead of flowers so copped out completely!

Esther.R
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We had home grown sweetpeas at our wedding, not in the bouquet though (for that we had a posy of shop-bought old fashioned cream roses and home grown lavender round the outside) we used them in arrangements in the church (in water) and they looked and smelt beautiful. We got married in mid-July and they were just in perfect peak condition. We just had a mixed pastel selection.

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Wedding Flowers

Cardoons.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

wabbit955
Living the good life