What are we all having for dinner?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What are we all having for dinner?

To honour my new years resolution, I am going to an indian supermarket this lunchtime to stock up on lots of lovely curry ingredients. I feel really bad about the air miles involved in all of the fresh veg, but it is only going to be once a month, honest!

So although I won't be eating home cooked curry this evening (as I am half dead on a friday night and don't get back till late) I am sure we will be eating some of the lovely ready to go stuff they have to take and eat at home...and a curry on Saturday night.

You wouldn't want to be under the duvet with us this weekend!! :lol:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:No catholics in my family but we used to have fish from the chippy on a Friday too, what is the religious meaning of this? :dontknow: I thought it was just an old tradition like a roast on Sunday and Monday being washing day!
Typical religious hypocrisy. Fasting dates back to Judaism (two days per week) and was carried into Christianity. The Christians gradually dropped one fast day but kept the other (Friday) as it's the traditional day of the crucifiction (sorry about the little pun there). But then fasting came to mean only keeping meat out of the diet - fish was OK. Fish was defined as anything which lived in water, so otters, seals, whales, dolphins, herons - you name it - all became "fish".

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

MKG wrote: But then fasting came to mean only keeping meat out of the diet - fish was OK.
Early day vegetarians then. I must admit I have never understood why vegetarians eat fish :scratch: Is it because fish aren't cuddly and cute like baby lambs or Babe the pig?
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

zaxdog
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Vegetarians DON'T eat fish. If they do they are NOT vegetarians :lol:

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

zaxdog wrote:Vegetarians DON'T eat fish. If they do they are NOT vegetarians :lol:
The ones I know eat fish. What's the word for a veggie who eats fish? Must be one

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Found it! They are called pescetarians. Sounds like an annoying vegetarian :lol:

zaxdog
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Seems overwhelmingly simple to me!

Vegans eat no meat, dairy or animal products. Veggies don't eat fish. Pescatarians eat fish but no other meat.

The annoying people to me are the ones who make snide comments about veggies who are just getting on with their lives, no preaching etc which the majority of veggies do. The amount of times I have seen veggies having a piece of meat waved under their nose/put in their food "as a joke" just shows how many idiots there are left in the world :lol:

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Made a nice discovery yesterday, "Italian-style nut roast". We made it and it is brilliant! Our usual one uses breadcrumbs but I think this is a better recipe altogether.

All organic and vegan, low salt, fairly low fat, we served it with gravy, home-grown rooster potatoes and steamed home-grown cabbage. A real winter dinner (minus 2 outside at the mom.)
  • 250g porridge oats
    200g chopped mixed nuts
    200g of cannellini or butter beans
    1 finely chopped onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 medium egg or other binder
    1tsp yeast extract
    100g of your favourite pesto
    mozzarella cheese or two tablespoons of yeast flakes

Gently fry the finely chopped onion and garlic until soft.

Meanwhile, put the porridge oats into a bowl and cover with 1/2 pint of boiling water – leave to absorb water for 10 minutes. Then stir – you should quickly get a thick porridge – add a little extra boiling water if too dry and difficult to stir.

Stir yeast extract (and the egg if you use them) into porridge mixture.

Mash beans with a fork and add to porridge mixture with chopped nuts and onions. Finally stir in pesto sauce and cubed mozzarella/yeast flakes.

Turn the thick mixture into a well greased oven proof dish and bake in the middle of your oven at Gas mark 6 for 50 minutes. Allow to stand for at least 20 minutes before carving – nut roast gets firmer as it cools.
This makes a large roast. It is lovely served cold too.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Sounds delicious - consider it yoinked! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

zaxdog wrote:Seems overwhelmingly simple to me!

Vegans eat no meat, dairy or animal products. Veggies don't eat fish. Pescatarians eat fish but no other meat.

The annoying people to me are the ones who make snide comments about veggies who are just getting on with their lives, no preaching etc which the majority of veggies do. The amount of times I have seen veggies having a piece of meat waved under their nose/put in their food "as a joke" just shows how many idiots there are left in the world :lol:
zaxdog I was referring to the pesky part in the word pescatarians. Another word for pesky is annoying. No offence intended. I suppose if I have to explain the joke then it wasn't a good one. :( I'll get my coat

greenorelse

Green Aura wrote:Sounds delicious - consider it yoinked! :lol:
It is delicious. Go for it!
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

zaxdog
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

That's cool bud! :hugish:

Bit sensitive as having been veggie for many years I had to put up with abuse from dafies who thought they were being funny or that a veggie was someone it was okay to insult :banghead: I can't stand people who call themselves veggie and eat fish as it makes things even harder for real veggies.

Anyhoo I think we are on venison tonight :cheers:

greenorelse

TheGoodEarth wrote:
zaxdog wrote:Seems overwhelmingly simple to me!

zaxdog I was referring to the pesky part in the word pescatarians. Another word for pesky is annoying. No offence intended. I suppose if I have to explain the joke then it wasn't a good one. :( I'll get my coat

No worries, TGE. You forgot (yawn) ovo-vegetarians, lacto-vegetarians, fruitarians and, would you believe, breatharians. Is there such a thing as a human carnivore (in the sense of the opposite of a vegan), who eats nothing but meat?

boboff

zaxdog wrote:Bit sensitive as having been veggie for many years

So are you straight now?

(Sorry, this is a joke, playing on the sterotype that all veggies are indeed from the Island of Lesbos, which is fundamentally untrue, as history tells us Zealous Despotic Tyranicall Racist German leaders can also be veggie)
TheGoodEarth wrote: I'll get my coat
I'll join you mate.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

greenorelse wrote:Is there such a thing as a human carnivore (in the sense of the opposite of a vegan), who eats nothing but meat?
Most of my daughter's friends for the last 20 years! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin