Quittin' Smoking

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Quittin' Smoking

That is really sad pumpy - I thought you were really positive and had realised how stupid smoking is. Don't balame your wife, it's not her fault that she is trapped by the weed. She probably feels really bad that you have started again so don't make her feel even worse. If you seriously want to stop read the Allen Carr book.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

TheGoodEarth wrote:If you seriously want to stop read the Allen Carr book.
Arrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh cue a lot of people lighting up right now - and burning the bloody book. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

I thought that might get a reaction! :iconbiggrin:
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Have :drunken: :drunken:
Given up
smoking and

:drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :king: :pirate: :pale:

found somfing

eles to take its places , and I don't feel no side fffects at tall, and it realy don't hurt :drunken: :drunken: at tall, so find youself somfing to take your mind of it and you won't smell bad and you won't effend othfer people. :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

fran
Living the good life
Living the good life

It is one year today since I stopped smoking :cheers: and I have not even had one sneaky ciggie in all that time. It is hard to do but for everyone that is still trying to give up, keep going, the benefits are definitely worth it. I have a lot more money now. It is not just the smoking money, because I do not go into the shop every day I don't just buy the odd magazine, choc bar etc, so I reckon I have actually saved about £8.00 per day. Yes I have put on weight, but that is my next challenge. The biggest benefit is the boost to my confidence, having given up smoking I now feel I can do anything, so watch this space!!!!!! :lol:
Working towards living the dream on a barge.

my blog about the barge: http://www.fran-bonnieofclyde.blogspot.com

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

I know digression is our friend on ish but I wan't expecting smoking tips on a thread called Quittin Smoking! :lol:

Jill

Millymollymandy

Phew! I have just managed to split this thread into Quittin' and Not Quittin' which has taken me ages :shaking: so please can we leave this one for the Quitters and continue the discussion about tobacco, pipes etc on the other thread. Thank you. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Sinmara
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I've quit smoking 7 years ago - although I was never a heavy smoker. I smoked a fair bit when I was a student, but once I came over here to England I only smoked socially. And back then I didn't have much money, so my social life went a bit downhill as well - so did my cigarette consum. In the end I smoked maybe 2 cigarettes a week, and I just thought: oh, why bother. It was a bit odd at the beginning when I went clubbing and I had no cigarette in my hand to go with my alcohol - but I gave that one up too.

I only drink very occasionally now, and then only a glass of wine or a cocktail. Have tried one cigarette years ago, but nearly puked. I don't mind people smoking next to me though, or in clubs/bars/pubs.
my Deviant Art page

Sinmara77 on Twitter

kompost krazy

This is a bit late in the day, but my advice, as an ex-smoker for the last 20 years, is:
Give up all at once. Cutting down is no use: you're just putting off the decision.
Have your last cig. last thing at night, That way, next day you've already gone six-to-eight hours without, without even trying!
Tell as many people as possible that you're giving up: that way, you've got more face to lose if you fail. The exception to this rule is that you should not tell any idiotic friends whom you suspect would think it a great joke to try to rtempt you back by smoking in front of you and offering you one. Alternatively, hit them.
Don't use patches or anything else which is supposed to make it easy. If it's too easy to quit, it's also easy to start again. Otoh, if it's a struggle, firstly you can feel proud of yourself, and secondly, you've got a strong incentive never to start again and waste it all.
Once you've given up, don't think that you can have just one cig. occasionally without getting hooked again. An ex-smoker is like a dry alcoholic: you can never have another cigarette (otoh, after some years, you don't want to).

gregorach

I have to completely disagree with you on all points there, KK. I cut down gradually over a period of several months using NRT (gum and microtabs). By the time I was ready to actually give up, it was easy, and I've been able to have the odd one every now and then without any problem or any desire to start smoking full-time again. Nor do I have any problem being around other people smoking.

Horses for courses I guess, but it seems to me that a lot of people go out of their way to make it harder than it needs to be. There's nothing virtuous about making it hard on yourself, and thinking in such absolute terms is just setting yourself up for failure (IMHO).

Everybody's different.
Cheers

Dunc

oldjerry

gregorach wrote:I have to completely disagree with you on all points there, KK. I cut down gradually over a period of several months using NRT (gum and microtabs). By the time I was ready to actually give up, it was easy, and I've been able to have the odd one every now and then without any problem or any desire to start smoking full-time again. Nor do I have any problem being around other people smoking.

Horses for courses I guess, but it seems to me that a lot of people go out of their way to make it harder than it needs to be. There's nothing virtuous about making it hard on yourself, and thinking in such absolute terms is just setting yourself up for failure (IMHO).

Everybody's different.

Just to show everybody really IS different , I completely agree with this.I used to smoke constantly and just cut down gradually till I was just buying a pack to smoke when I was in the pub,then I just gave up smoking in the Pub.Sometimes say once a month I'll smoke a roll up,no big deal...

kompost krazy

gregorach wrote:I have to completely disagree with you on all points there, KK. I cut down gradually over a period of several months using NRT (gum and microtabs). By the time I was ready to actually give up, it was easy, and I've been able to have the odd one every now and then without any problem or any desire to start smoking full-time again. Nor do I have any problem being around other people smoking.

Everybody's different.
Well, your last two words say it all. There's no no one, single right way of doing it. My method worked for me, and the bit about never having another cig is true for me, too: it's why I had a number of failed attempts before I finally succeeded in giving up for good. (well, 20-odd years - I don't think I'm likely to start again now, though!)

southeast-isher

TheGoodEarth wrote:She probably didn't finish it or follow all of the instructions. This is crucial. For the 5% who fail there is also a follow up called The Easyway to Stop Smoking - PERMANENTLY. You can also get these on CD - good luck.
So this is how you got indoctrinated! I'm not a fan of Allen Carr...

boboff

Well it's day 4 of "not" smoking.

It is going ok, using the Snus recommended on here.

I am getting to know how to use the stuff, and I set out with the idea that I would be "allowed" two or three fags a day, for the first couple of weeks. At the moment thats the morning one, the after Tea one and the before bed one, although all of these I have not had on different days.

Mr SE ish summed it up nicely when he said, enjoy the Snus, it's meant to be fun, and do you know what that possitive spin makes all the difference.

Previously I would have been counting the hours and minutes, stressing, selling myself the next cheat, but to be quite honest I am not thinking about it much at all. Although having just rodden the drains to the septic tank, the idea of putting my hands to my face isn't a good one!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

southeast-isher

Skruf Stark is my go-to snus as it's about 12mg of nicotine whereas regulars are around 8mg. But you can get extra-starks around 17mg. Stark = strong. I find a snus around 12mg to be about right...