Uses for used cat litter?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Uses for used cat litter?

earthmotherwithin wrote:We use a recycled paper based product for our cat. We usually scatter the tray in the garden, away from the vegetables because we are told by experts that it should not be used that way.

I have just received a book from the Good Life book club in which there is a picture story of a person who made a worm farm just for pet litter. They used an old bath, and the product from the worm farm goes to feed the trees on their property.
ive been told the stuff your using is good to put around flowering trees or bushes

jenko

GabrielGadfly
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My father used to sift out the clumpy bits, and use the leftover litter to level out the low spots in our dirt driveway. I seem to recall it was a clay-based litter, so no problems with nasty chemicals or anything.
The Gadfly Revolution - Humans becoming human.

funkymedusa
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

i'm not sure if its any use but i used to put my cat litter on the heap with the straw and stuff from my rabbits and guinea pigs years ago and after a few years i spread it around the bushes and trees,they never died,i knew someone who got rid off the lumps and put it around the plces the neighbours cats were peeing and the cats stopped,but you mustnt put it right up against the actual bark as it can burn the tree if urine is mixed in the litter,which is why you want the other cats to stop the peeing in the first place!

HennyPenny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My cat has chicken food as cat litter.... layers pellets. Its cheap, easy to handle and clumps really well for easy disposal down the loo! Large sack lasts for yonks and its good at absorbing the smell.

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

thats a good idea, bet that saves alot of money

jenko

ellesherwood
Tom Good
Tom Good

heres a strange but personal insight into our life! i also have a cat the stands in the trap but poos on the floor , outside the bathroom - conveniently, this means that we can drop the poo down the loo . ah the pleasantried of cat ownership

wood based cat litter burns well - aga

the white cat litter, was great when we had the cold snap as we used it to grit the drive . ( no poos remember)

best thing ive found is to try and eak it out, buy one of those litter scoops . with the white litter the wee clumps and you can lift it out whole . thus meaning you dont have to change it everyday but its perfectly fresh smelling .

although even using this method i dont think you could ever beat the idea of the shredded newspaper . excellent

Treelover
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 52
longitude: 0

heh, ours often miss... one of them digs a neat hole in the middle and widdles just off the edge. i have newspaper around the tray and that just gets burned. i have a clay based litter, the one that sinks the pee to the bottom when you shake the tray so even with four cats shut in overnight [on main road; had our own tragedies] you only need to change it every three to seven days [dependant on weather during day; one ALWAYS comes in to use the tray rather than peeing outside the others only do in bad weather]. the advertising says you change it every two to three weeks, well i guess they didn't test it on cats as wet as ours; we have four tray. i spade out poos and flush them; or burn the rather liquid ones of our elderly persian. a few stones of lit go down the loo fine because we have good old fashioned victorian plumbing which actually even takes newspaper in judicious quantities with the er stickier offerings. does anyone else have a crazy feline who comes in to use the tray? and has anybody else ever had a cat that pees down the bath plughole? that's a GREAT saving on lit, so long as you remember to rinse the bath every morning lol!

witchywoo
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Rosendula wrote:Am I the only one whose cats (every cat I've ever had), when they have used litter trays stands in the tray and poops over the edge on the floor? :shock: :? :roll:

no. my cat does exactly the same thing..no matter how much litter they have in the tray lol xxx :?

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The worst our cat did was when we took her to a friend's to stay while we were on holiday she managed to stand on the edge of the tray and flip it up as we had picked up recycled paper litter by accident, by this time she was already weeing so weed all over the floor! Oops. Surprisingly these friends have taken her again!!!

Archanejil

We have some excess cat litter (we found an obvious owned cat, but she was obviously lost, so we took her in for a few days. We bought litter, and not having a cat... well).

We've had some moisture issues around the house and in the car. Stick cat litter in envelope. Leave on dashboard/in corner. No more problem.

But I wouldn't fancy doing that with *used* litter... :S

The Prehistorian

returning to the subject.....alas the cat is no longer with us :-(
But we now have two new ones. They are less inclined to 'go' in the house so we get through less litter these days. We tried the wood based ones but found that it was very light - cat would do it's do in the try but by the time it got out it looked like a hedge hog with all the litter stuck to it...litter everywhere. We also tried shredded paper - again a bit light, the cats would chuck half of it out of the tray before settling down for a 'session', and then half the time, they'd use the stuff that had been ejected from the tray!
Have to try some of the other suggests that have been made since I last visited the thread - cheers.

giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

i have 5 cats, again mine are in to flattend.. GRRRR bloody drivers dont you hate them..
so, i use the wood based pellets, and they go in my green bin to be recylecld.. so cant you just use that one??? that goes with all the green waste. so all good... ALSO iv used sand.. Muck... and paper.. all went well.

Glen Gilchrist

Just for interest....

The cheapest clay based cat litter normally is 100% bentonite clay - you know the stuff normally found in expensive face packs.

G
Entropy - it's not what it used to be.
Blogging at: www.glengilchrist.co.uk

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

... and one of the more expensive wine fining agents.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

saratoga
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sorry my question is not about used cat litter,but our cats don't use the tray anymore they all go outside now.We have a couple of bags left and I wondered if I can use it in the bottom of flower pots for drainage instead of gravel ?