So I learnt to crochet...

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

So I learnt to crochet...

ok, I finally got to grips with a crochet hook on thursday morning. I managed chain, double crochet and that's about it... BUT working from a utorial on flowers form youtube, I worked out how to make an arches piece.
I bought some dishcloth cotton (my great gran's fave crochet medium) form the market yesterday (sat) morning. yesterday evening and most of today I have been busy making my hands sore.

it's actually for over a pretty white broderie anglaise dress she has, but she refused to change.

back

this flower covers the press stud.

now to give my crochetstick and hadns a rest for a few days!!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Graye

Re: So I learnt to crochet...

That's REALLY cute, well done. You are very inventive! It would look lovely over a pretty frock.

I used to love making basic crochet things, even made a gorgeous blanket from lots of brightly coloured squares all edged in black.

I've got my five year old grand-daughter coming to visit and thought we might try making dish clothes (either knitting or crochet) but she's left handed and I'm not sure whether to just teach her right handed (my husband, who was a music teacher for years says that's what they always did) or try reversing things to make it easier. I've got the cotton and the hooks all ready...
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

wooooow mrs Flibble, that is so cool, and you really took the jump right away!
keep going!!! after the cramps have gone, it is much more fun waiting for you.

cheers
berti

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Graye wrote:I've got my five year old grand-daughter coming to visit and thought we might try making dish clothes (either knitting or crochet) but she's left handed and I'm not sure whether to just teach her right handed (my husband, who was a music teacher for years says that's what they always did) or try reversing things to make it easier. I've got the cotton and the hooks all ready...
Seriously, I'm left-handed and I'm soooo glad my mum taught me how to knit the right-handed way. I also taught myself to crochet the right-handed way as well. Being given the option just serves to confuse and when your trying to learn more advanced knitting/crochet techniques further down the road it's easier if you use the right-handed method. I know left-handed people who were taught in reverse and it put them off for life because it became too complicated trying to reverse knitting patterns all the time.
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oooh - forgot to say...nice job MrsFlibble - looks lovely on!
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

Ellendra

Cool!!!!

I recently picked up my crochet hooks after many many years (the last time I crocheted anything I was 13). It was much easier than I remembered, maybe because I'm no longer too stubborn to look at the book :p

One thing I found with the hand cramps, don't squeeze the hook. There's this tendency is to grip it tightly, that's really not necessary and it just makes the hand cramps worse and can throw your tension off.

I'm an ambi, and I agree that following right-handed instructions is easier when learning a new stitch, but personally I like being able to switch back and forth. Especially after watching a woman crochet with one hand while holding her baby in the other :p

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

can anyone talk me through how to do these squares please?
I can't follow the directions in my craft book. ta!!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Graye

The square pattern only requires two easy to make crochet stitches - the chain stitch and the double crochet. Basically, you will make a chain of about six or seven stitches and join them into a loop for your first level. Then, you will chain two to start the next round, make two double crochet stitches, and then two chain stitches for the first corner. The next side is made with a cluster of three double crochet stitches looped into the chain circle. In other words the second "round is made up of 12 lots of double crochet, three into each side of the square. Once you have mastered the little chain followed by the double crochet stitch you can actually see where you need to put the hook to make the next group.

Each layer or round of the crochet square is worked in the same way - with groups of three double crochet stitches and chain stitch spaces at the corners. It's hard to describe but once you join the first loop and work the chain of two to make the first part of the group of three you should see where it's going.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

Shirley

Jobi1canobi wrote:
Graye wrote:I've got my five year old grand-daughter coming to visit and thought we might try making dish clothes (either knitting or crochet) but she's left handed and I'm not sure whether to just teach her right handed (my husband, who was a music teacher for years says that's what they always did) or try reversing things to make it easier. I've got the cotton and the hooks all ready...
Seriously, I'm left-handed and I'm soooo glad my mum taught me how to knit the right-handed way. I also taught myself to crochet the right-handed way as well. Being given the option just serves to confuse and when your trying to learn more advanced knitting/crochet techniques further down the road it's easier if you use the right-handed method. I know left-handed people who were taught in reverse and it put them off for life because it became too complicated trying to reverse knitting patterns all the time.
As a fellow left-hander I have to agree. I've always been taught to do things (crochet, knitting, guitar) the 'normal' right handed way and it's made life a lot easier. I do write with my left hand though.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Shirley

Love the crochet Mrs F - clever stuff.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/