Grow your own drugs - BBC 2

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Grow your own drugs - BBC 2

I liked it again little new learnt except that you can find feral goji berries along the south coast, but it was done in a way that would attract people who probably wouldn't have thought about such things, which can only be good & the fact that the presenter is cute is a bonus.

By the way clara how do you grow honey & yoghurt?
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

starchild
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I thought it was great in that it hit the mainstream. I too got tired of the 'don't sue me' feeling about it, but I understand why the BBC felt the need to do this.

And I totted up that the face mask probably cost £2; which is hardly frugal AND it took ages to whip up - I can't see many teenagers bothering tbh - that was more for your hardened purists. Personally i used yogurt and oats left over from breakfast :lol:

I did learn some stuff though - namely you can grow goji berries and how my fig tree should be trained and i was very impressed with the hops pillows.

All in all, for a BBC programme, which a delicious presenter I felt it was good. If it encourages your 'average' person to eat chicken soup rather than reach for lemsip then that's great :)

I'm looking forward to next weeks episode
Follow our family's progress as we work through our zero waste challenge:
http://myzerowaste.com/

For all aspects of greener living
http://littlegreenblog.com/

Millymollymandy

How many kiwis did he use in the recipe? They cost 50c each here and a lime would cost about the same if not more. Lord knows how much you'd pay for a papaya! :shock:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

starchild
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

recipes are on this page, mmm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/features/growyo ... ode1.shtml

1 kiwi fruit, peeled
juice of 1 lime
1/2 papaya
2 sachets vegetable gelatine
Follow our family's progress as we work through our zero waste challenge:
http://myzerowaste.com/

For all aspects of greener living
http://littlegreenblog.com/

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Ovalina wrote:I felt it was stuff a lot of people like us already knew and lived by, but I was encouraged that these kind of programmes are becoming 'trendy' and so reaching an much wider audience.

i feel like this too, but i am kinda worried.... if the stuff most of us live by becomes "in", does that mean we're trendsetters or just sheep?
is being a sheep a bad thing?

i didnt learn to crochet because catherine zeta jones does, i learned because i have wanted to since i was in my teens.

i dont cook from scratch because huge furry whippingtool does, i cook from scratch cos it's cheap and the way i was taught.

i didnt start using terry nappies when soph was close to potty training because some celeb or another does, i did it to get her to realise when she's wet, on advice from my mum who used terries for all four of us.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Now what've you gone and done Mrs F!

I'm never going to be able to look at HFW again without thinking he's into bondage :shock:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Green Aura wrote: I was a bit disappointed with the first episode, nothing new, but I'm hopeful it may get better. I can see the constant hand of the lawyers at work - "this may do this", "patch test" blah, blah, blah....it was wearing thin after 10 minutes :roll:
:lol: That grated on me too! I liked the show but it wasn't anything astounding. Still a step in the right direction though!
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

sleepyowl wrote:I liked it again little new learnt except that you can find feral goji berries along the south coast, but it was done in a way that would attract people who probably wouldn't have thought about such things, which can only be good & the fact that the presenter is cute is a bonus.
The thing that worried me about that though is that they look a little like nightshade don't they?
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I suppose the berries are similar, but the plants are very different.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Ovalina
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Gawd, thats a thought though, the first poisoning case and then we'll all be banned from making any kind of health cure - maybe somethings should just be kept away from the masses perhaps :wink:

cathode
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

What do folks think about the flowers programme?
I thought the elderflower pastille recipe was good

Thing is, it's driving me mad that there's no mention of herbalists. We're the professionals in this area, he's a blooming academic!! Ethnobotonist grrrr, is he insured to treat people, I think not :angryfire:
if we all work together we can totally disrupt the system

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

In the first episode he says over and over that he is a whatever-it-was-otonist - and the whole programme was full of disclaimers but yes they should tell people that there are professionals in this field.

Haven't seen the flower one yet, I must sit down to watch it over the next few days.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dagnabbit! I forgot it was on tonight! Damnable distracty interwebs!
I thought the first one was pretty good, and reassured me that my kiwi vine should do ok. Also, I fully agree with the people who mention the prettiness of Chris, the presenter ;-)
It got my parents thinking more about natural health et al, so thats a good thing in my book too.

And speaking of books, its already out, I noticed it in Waterstone's last week, though I forgot to go check it out. But it did look big and glossy...might be ok as a coffee-table book...whatever that actually means :-D
Harm None!

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

might be ok as a coffee-table book...whatever that actually means :-D
It means 'pose value' :lol:

There seem to be alot of references to asian shops...maybe he (or his family) has a chain of 'em?

& what is a 'cup' please? I live in UK, I watch telly in the UK, please use either imperial or metric for pity's sake!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

& what is a 'cup' please?
Its a small container, usually with a handle. Some people use them for drinking from :-p
I have to be fair, I have a tendency to measure in cups, its a lot easier when you're cooking for one lol and as long as you use the same cup throughout a particular recipe, it usually works out fine :-D I do also have a set of steel measuring cups...though I mostly bought them because they look like tiny saucepans :oops:
Harm None!