Rag rugs

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

Rag rugs

Last year I started making rag rugs but soon found that the sources of fabric were running out (emptying the wardrobes of grown out of clothes and raiding friends and families wardrobes).I was chatting two a couple of elderly ladies working at the local charity shop and they told me that anything that didnt sell in the shop was sold to the "rag man" for £1 a bag and I could buy a bag or two from them for the same price.A bit of a lucky dip but we now all have a rug each,plus Ive also found lots of bits for patchwork and applique,oh and I save all the buttons for my knitting! Is this the same for other parts of the country?
Now, what did I come in here for??????

Libby
Living the good life
Living the good life

I remember when the rag and bone man used to come around in his lorry!
Showing my age now.
Last one I saw shouting rag,n,bone, only wanted metal and stuff.

What materials are you interested in? I usually recycle clothes by giving them to friends and family, but sometimes I throw something if I think it,s not good enough to wear. :oops: May be ok for ragrugs though.
Let me know if you,re interested, you,re not that far away and I could meet you halfway or something.
I,d hate to throw them if you could use them.
I want to wake up in the morning and see green!

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Libby,we STILL have the rag and bone man in the village! The first time I heard him shout I thought I was dreaming! Sadly he doesnt have a horse and cart. Many thanks for the offer of clothes,I use things like wool coats,sweatshirts,t-shirts and denim.Im just wondering how to meet up as I dont drive,the OH is mostly working away and out here the bus service is abysmal,1 an hour if youre lucky and you can only get to Swansea or Ammanford! Am actually thinking of getting a rickshaw just so I can take the kids to the shop!

Libby
Living the good life
Living the good life

:lol: @rickshaw

I,ll send them up with my son next time his team plays cwmtwrch :wink:

Seriously though once I have a pile worth sending, we can sort something out if you want them.
I,ll check with you when the time comes. :flower:

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks ever so. Thats the one thing I havent managed to do yet,go to a real rugby match! Will try to get the OH to give me a lift (the words blood and stone come to mind......)

Kfish
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Rag rugs

I've found that it tends to vary from shop to shop.

My local op shop (10 mins walk away :wink: ) does 'fill a bag for $1' for the clothes that aren't in as good shape as the others.

My current obsession is making patchwork quilts from jeans, and last time I went there I got the materials for a full double bed quilt for $1! :cheers:

Other great sources are family, friends and acquaintances. Mind you, prepare for some funny looks when you ask for worn-out clothing! Most of my friends are students, so it's not too bad yet ...

K

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quite a few of our second hand/charity shops sell or pass on below spec clothing to sheltered workshops to be torn up into rags and then bagged and sold to industry for cleaning rags.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Rag rugs

Kfish wrote:My current obsession is making patchwork quilts from jeans, and last time I went there I got the materials for a full double bed quilt for $1! :cheers:

K
That sounds interesting... do you have any photos??
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Rag rugs

Kfish wrote:I've found that it tends to vary from shop to shop.

My local op shop (10 mins walk away :wink: ) does 'fill a bag for $1' for the clothes that aren't in as good shape as the others.

My current obsession is making patchwork quilts from jeans, and last time I went there I got the materials for a full double bed quilt for $1! :cheers:

Other great sources are family, friends and acquaintances. Mind you, prepare for some funny looks when you ask for worn-out clothing! Most of my friends are students, so it's not too bad yet ...

K
Thats funny Kfish,Im just in the process of doing exactly the same thing! I made my baby son a denim rag rug for his bedroom and now Im onto a matching quilt cover for when hes ready for a bed! A case of great minds eh?

woolcraft
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Another good sources could be anyone who runs old fashioned rummage or jumble sales. Contact local WI/Church events to offer to buy up unsold goods.

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thats a great idea,hadnt thought of that. We dont get many jumble sales around here,is it just where I live or is this a National trend I wonder???

Libby
Living the good life
Living the good life

Church or school are usually where we get the jumble sales, check you,re local paper goodlife, they usually have them publicised.

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Libby, I found one! Its on Friday,will try to get there,I was beginning to think that they were out of fashion as a fund raising event but there we are! By the way if your son is playing Cwmtwrch (I assume they play at Ystradgynlais?) please feel free to come up and have a gossip! Can always PM you my address.

Libby
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hiya Goodlife
Good news on the jumble.
I think it will be next season before he,ll be playing there again. I don,t usually go to games in case anyone tries to hurt him. I,ll kill them :lol:
Poor kid,s only 6' 4" :wink:
I,ll check the fixtures with him and let you know.

nick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Did a search while the forum was down on rag rugs. came up with rugmakers homestead that show a variety of techniques. how did you make your rug? braiding, crochet, knitting or other?