ged goes veggie!

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
ged.medland
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

ged goes veggie!

Hi Folks,
in a complete turnaround to my thinking I have decided to give up being a meat eater,I am enjoying my new status.Any advice re diet/recipes,would be most appreciated!
ta very much!
atb
ged :mrgreen:
If you are out for revenge,dig 2 graves!

glenniedragon
A selfsufficientish Regular

Decide where you draw the line is the first thing. Are you going to give up all living things, or just quadrapeds? if it's all living things you'll be surprised what they sneak animal products into....worcestersauce for instance has anchovies in. There are 'going veggie packs' that are free
http://www.animalaid.org.uk/campaign/vegan/freepack.htm
You also have to decide how far vegetarianism will percolate through your life- stance on leather, isinglass in your wines (used to clear wine), rennet in your cheese.....I could go on

I don't want to put you off (i've been a veggie for 2/3s of my life!) but once you think about that you can plan a bit easier. I use loads of Quorn as most meat recipies can be converted with quorn- and its a free food in slimming world, so you can eat it til stuffing point!

Good luck
kind thoughts
Deb

ged.medland

ged goes veggie!

Thanx for the input Deb,
I just want to,in the main,stop eating meat and not become puritanical in my new thinking,I believe it will be a long and hopefully enjoyable learning curve!
atb
ged :mrgreen: :dave: : :lol:
If you are out for revenge,dig 2 graves!

ina

Just to be controversial :wink: - I hate Quorn! I've been veggie for 27 years or so; in the beginning I did use some TVP (textured vegetable protein), but soon found that if I want something that imitates the texture and taste of meat, I might as well eat meat...

Anyway, I'm not too puritanical. I drink wine that's not veggie, I eat cheese made with rennet (although a lot of it is made with vegetarian rennet nowadays), I wear leather and sheep skin. I'm not against eating meat (or fish), but I found I was healthier without it, and now I simply don't like it any more. And I believe that generally, people would be healthier if they ate less meat.

I get plenty of protein from dairy products, eggs and pulses, very occasionally tofu. Potatoes also contain valuable protein, if not a lot of it; wholemeal products contain more than white flour, and if the diet is varied, there should not be any problem at all.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've cut down the amount of meat I eat - for health reasons. I now buy less, but much better quality meat. I buy from a local butcher, supplied by local farms. The animals are traditionally reared, free range chickens etc. I love my Lincolnshire sausages too much to give up meat, or even red meat, altogether.

I've been advised to eat more fresh fruit & veg to help combat my chronic illness. Hence my attempt to grow more of my own - less effort to go outside & pick produce than hike into the town centre for the market. The gardening is also good for me.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Onya Ged!

Good luck and I hope it goes well for you!

Andy, how are you going with your giving up meat for Lent?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

gunners71uk

glenniedragon so if i join slimming world i get free quorn wow whats it taste like?.lol

glenniedragon

There is a reason quorn is a free food- it doesn't really taste of much its the sauces that give it flavour. Hey gunners if you join slimming world I'll race you to the first stone! :lol:

kind thin thoughts
Deb

gunners71uk

first stone potatoes are already in lol