I'm eating my first strawbs!!!

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I'm eating my first strawbs!!!

Yes I know that Odsox beat me to it but he's got a polytunnel :lol: but mine are outside. I really wasn't expecting them to start ripening so soon given the cold spring but all I can say is yummy and wipeee! :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

crowsashes

Re: I'm eating my first strawbs!!!

mine are still green but growing nicely now ive put them up on a very sunny outside window ledge ( lucky enough to have quite wide ones )

now i just have to go for a potter and pick those wild strawberries i found.

:cheers: :cheers:

bet they taste lovely though, like tomatoes straight of the bush? never grew my own strawberries so this year will be my first lot :-)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice taste of summer aren't they ?
Cut up, sprinkled with sugar, a screw of black pepper and doused in fresh cream. :cheers:
The things we have to suffer. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

JulieSherris

Where oh where is the *slap* smiley......... :dontknow:

:lol:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Millymollymandy

:violent1: You could try that one Julie. :iconbiggrin:

I've just been looking for put thumb on end of nose and waggle fingers in a na-nah-ne-nah-nah "i've got strawbs and you haven't" smiley but there isn't one! So snigger will have to do. :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6: Yes Tony aren't they lovely! tee hee :laughing6:

Millymollymandy

Oh and I'm in a T-shirt and the weather forecast is supposed to hit 28C by Sunday/Monday. :laughing6: Mind you I'll probably be complaining that it's too hot!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Make the most of your 28 degrees, they are forecasting frosts again next week !!

Are there poor people out there who are NOT eating strawberries then. :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Millymollymandy

Odsox wrote:Make the most of your 28 degrees, they are forecasting frosts again next week !!
That's cos my Mum and brother are coming here on Wednesday. :iconbiggrin: No frosts forecast here but about 18C although I can only look ahead for 10 days.
Odsox wrote:Are there poor people out there who are NOT eating strawberries then. :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:
Tony I have the feeling you are being quite evil and deliberately trying to wind people up.

It's great fun isn't it? :lol:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:Tony I have the feeling you are being quite evil and deliberately trying to wind people up.
Moi ? :evil4:
Millymollymandy wrote:I've just been looking for put thumb on end of nose and waggle fingers in a na-nah-ne-nah-nah "i've got strawbs and you haven't" smiley
How about :booty: or :la:
Tony

JulieSherris

I am totally disgusted with the pair of you!! Tony, I sort of expect it from, but you, MMM... well!! :shock:

Actually, I have just made a 'Halfway through the Year Resolution',

Ahem... cough, cough, stands to make the declaration.....

"After the totally crap Autumn & Winter we had, with floods, lost crops due to rain, cold, snow, ice & frost, floods of hen houses, driveways, garden areas, losing hubby for days at a time because of the flooded roads, general freezing cold winds and a total lack of interest in the garden because of the weather, etc etc..... I am NOT going to complain about the heat & sunny weather due to us this Summer - not once, nada, nil. I refuse to complain, I will not, shall not, would not do it."

End of resolution..... :lol: Roll on the t-shirts & shorts days :wink:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

grahamhobbs

MMM as you were so nice about my pic, I won't go on about you being in sunny France.... so well done, savoir every morsel of them!

Strawberries are something I've neglected on my allotment, I have a couple that were given to me, but I don't know the variety and haven't given them much attention, but thinking of you eating them right now makes me jealous and detirmined to get my act together.

What are peoples recommendations for strawberry varieties for flavour, earliest, etc?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

grahamhobbs wrote:What are peoples recommendations for strawberry varieties for flavour, earliest, etc?
My own personal favourites Graham are either Royal Sovereign or Cambridge Favourite purely because (in my opinion) they are the only ones that taste like strawberries. All the others that I have tried are merely reminiscent of strawberries.
That said, I intend to try an everbearing variety next year just for freezing and jam making.
Tony

Martina
Living the good life
Living the good life

Millymollymandy wrote:Yes I know that Odsox beat me to it but he's got a polytunnel :lol: but mine are outside. I really wasn't expecting them to start ripening so soon given the cold spring but all I can say is yummy and wipeee! :cheers:

Lucky you! Mine are still twigs in Ontario. :( I have to wait until June before we hit Strawberry season. But my blackcurrents are taking off, so maybe I'll get some of them early to tie me over. :dontknow:

Martina
You can see my photos at------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40007483@N05/

Millymollymandy

grahamhobbs wrote:savoir every morsel of them!
First things first. I have been very unIsh this afternoon and left my computer on (albeit with screen turned off whilst I have been off to the dentist in Rennes. :oops: )

Then..... Graham I know you've spent time in France but actually what you mean is to savour every morsel :iconbiggrin: , I already 'savoir' my plants (savoir means 'to know' as I'm sure you are are aware from the time you spend in the Touraine :lol: ). When we passed through that area on the way back from hols there were tons of polytunels there with ripe strawbs and a lot of them were the early variety I grow called Gariguette. If you can ever get these they are absolutely lovely and tasty and make bloody good jam too! :thumbright:

Millymollymandy

The remontante variety that I have are called Rabunda, now these are strange because they have white centres but what is most interesting about them is that they have a very strong smell of candy floss! I never realised candy floss was strawberry flavoured!?! :scratch: but they produce well, taste of strawberries (if you know what I mean) and you get two harvests a year unlike the Gariguettes which are non-remontante, or once only, whatever that is called in English. :iconbiggrin: