Guess what I found in my garden?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Guess what I found in my garden?

Today I was digging some top soil from a heap at the bottom of the garden and out popped.....

A four pound weight for a set of scales :dontknow:

Bit more useful than the gravel and broken glass I usually find.

Zoe

Millymollymandy

Re: Guess what I found in my garden?

But was it Roman? :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hang on to it they're incredibly useful. When we moved in here there was an old stone (14lb) weight which our predecessor must have used as a doorstop. You know, the sort that grocers used to have for their big scales.

I put it to one side - it's proved immensely useful for weighing things down - it fits in the tofu mold and presses it perfectly :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

spymurph
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I'm very jealous... I love finding things in the garden. Lots of clay pipes here but nothing much else.

LyssaM
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

lol... when digging up the garden patch in my mum's garden we found lots of polly pockets (toys) and lego... all from when my brother used to kidnap them and bury them!! Mum found my old tricycle in what used to be the bramble patch... and a million tennis balls!

In ours I found a little stone model of a bird in a nest, which I cleaned up and put back in the garden cos it was pretty. found some old toys from previous tenents... and then broken bits of a plate... they weren't much use obviously.

pelmetman

Alas we haven't found anything in our garden here although around about us Saxon treasure has been found.

Our last house was an old ale house and the garden was an absolute treasure trove. Clay pipes were everywhere, and old bottles and stone jars, buckles and a really old spoon that was hundreds of years old oh and a coin from the 1700's.

Will have to start rummaging round again.
:flower: Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Sally Jane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I admit to the sin of envy! I was digging at the very end of our garden yesterday and found a button and some broken glass. Nowt else. Still, gives me an incentive to carry on digging, as the garden had been neglected for some years before we took it on, so who knows what's lurking in the bits that haven't yet been dug!
We all have two gifts we should try to use as much as possible - imagination and humour.
Imagination compensates us for what we are not.
A sense of humour consoles us for what we are.
And wisdom tells us not to worry about it!

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

When we moved into this house the patio had what was a flower bed running around all four sides but had had chippings put over the top I thought just for easy gardening..how wrong I was.....started to dig it up to plant and to my horror found that the entire contents of the alterations to the house ..they had had a wall taken down in the kitchena nd bathroom at some point ..was burried in the sides of the patio.....I dug up countless bricks ...glass from the all windows.....old bathroom tiles.....plaster bags..the bath plug and just to top it all the entire metal frame from the old bath.....haven't dared lift the patio .....god knows what is under there.....

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Nice to find a useful thing Zoe :cheers: mostly I've found horse shoes and horse shoe nails. Sons found a stone pop bottle and a digging spade head (shield shape) when the field behind us was trenched for a drain.
oh and I find marbles (well I knew I'd lost 'em somewhere) :dontknow:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

prison break fan

The Grandchildren and I found a gun, which was very exciting, we conjured up all sorts of stories about it, I still havent told them it was their father's pop gun! I have also found a pocket watch and loads of tea spoons, which I suspect were mine. pbf.

citizentwiglet

My grandfather found an unexploded bomb in his garden, back in the days (the late 60s) - they practically evacuated the entire village to deal with it!

Then again, when they moved in, the bathroom was full of strange plants....my grandpa asked a neighbour what the hell they were, and why they were in the bathroom of an empty house but obviously cared for, who just frowned and shook his head and said 'Oooh, you want to get rid of them...'.....

So he burnt them. And started giggling. Then the neighbours started giggling. Then the police turned up.......
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Millymollymandy

MEL78 wrote:When we moved into this house the patio had what was a flower bed running around all four sides but had had chippings put over the top I thought just for easy gardening..how wrong I was.....started to dig it up to plant and to my horror found that the entire contents of the alterations to the house ..they had had a wall taken down in the kitchena nd bathroom at some point ..was burried in the sides of the patio.....I dug up countless bricks ...glass from the all windows.....old bathroom tiles.....plaster bags..the bath plug and just to top it all the entire metal frame from the old bath.....haven't dared lift the patio .....god knows what is under there.....
The people who did all that work and left the rubbish and glass behind in the garden deserve to be under that patio!!! :roll: :angryfire:

Millymollymandy

citizentwiglet wrote:My grandfather found an unexploded bomb in his garden, back in the days (the late 60s) - they practically evacuated the entire village to deal with it!

Then again, when they moved in, the bathroom was full of strange plants....my grandpa asked a neighbour what the hell they were, and why they were in the bathroom of an empty house but obviously cared for, who just frowned and shook his head and said 'Oooh, you want to get rid of them...'.....

So he burnt them. And started giggling. Then the neighbours started giggling. Then the police turned up.......
ha ha ha ha brilliant! :cheers: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

To Millymollymandy.....would not be surprised at all if there was a body under the patio but its more likely to be more builders waste and considering how long it took me to sort out the small sides with having to take all the waste away and buy top soil think I'll leave it alone for a few more years yet

LyssaM
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

citizentwiglet wrote:My grandfather found an unexploded bomb in his garden, back in the days (the late 60s) - they practically evacuated the entire village to deal with it!

I remember years and years ago when I was little they found an unexploded bomb... we were ok our end but they did have to evacualte everyone nearby.

PMSL at your Grandad!