Grrrrr....burning plastic!

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

Grrrrr....burning plastic!

I am so cross ~ my idle neighbours (both of them) have started burning their domestic waste probably more so because of the bi weekly collections. The stink of burning plastic fills the air, as it is tonight. :cussing:

What can I do? Environmental health or the environmental agency have been contacted in the past but the neighbours get a warning letter and just don't seem to care.

Anyone got any bright ideas?
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Shirley

set up a sprinkler aimed strategically in their direction??!

Ummmm complain bitterly to your MP about the situation... it's disgraceful that they are doing this and not being reprimanded for it.

Don't they realise that they are causing damage to themselves... they probably don't care about the other people and the planet... but surely nobody can be that ignorant??!?

Call the fire brigade!! Every time they start.

Sorry.. I really can't stand the smell of burning plastic.. I know how awful it must be for you and your neighbours.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

shiney

Oh we've done the fire brigade on the first lot of neighbours! That was quite funny looking back on it. They had their four kids standing next to the 12ft flames poking sticks in the fire, whilst aerosol cans exploded into the area at all directions. :shock:

Jools actually went up to the Fire Brigade and told them in front of the neighbour that it was him who called them. The neighbour STILL sets fire to his rubbish. How stupid is that?

Really, these guys are so ignorant you wouldn't believe it. I am talking IQ's of about 20 here!

They are completely out of the picture as far as going green goes. They make no effort at all to recycle.

Should I be this cross? :oops:

Shirley

YES - you should be that cross... what inconsiderate &%^$%^£$'s

Really not sure what you can do... but perhaps the MP might be able to help?
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

shiney

I shall report them to the local environment people again on Monday. They will send out their standard letter on nuisance bonfires and ask me to keep a record of ocurrances and I will do that. They will then duly ignore the problem and I will go through the whole chinanigan again.

I just wish their was an Environment Police who could fine these people on the spot for being soooo disgusting.

Maybe a water canon is in order? :lol:

Don't tempt me Shirlz, I am steaming missus. :whdat:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I dunno Guys, seems like another opportunity for claymore mines to me!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

If you are getting no joy out of the authorities (including MP), send all that information - including your fruitless contacts with the council etc - to various newspapers.
Take some photos of the fires, too... What they are doing is illegal, so you are only doing your "citizen's duty" in making it public!

And yes, some people simply do not care. I think I mentioned before we have this couple living in one of the former farm labourer's cottages, who's bin overflows every week... I see what they put in there; most of that should and could be recycled. We've also been having drains problems since they've moved in; they don't seem to realise that a septic tank can't take all sorts of rubbish on top of the usual sh***!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

shiney

It does amaze me that people don't find it a problem burning plastic and stuff.

The trouble is when the council sends a letter out to them about the fires, they also tell you to keep a record for 28 days of any more activity. If they have more fires within that time, the council will do something. (like tap them on the back of the hand)

If, like these people, they have spasmodic plastic burning sessions it's hard to keep on top of it. They see to have 3-5 days of burning sessions then it goes quiet for say...28 days! Then they are back into the swing of it all over again.

ina

shiney wrote:The trouble is when the council sends a letter out to them about the fires, they also tell you to keep a record for 28 days of any more activity. If they have more fires within that time, the council will do something.
In other words - it's perfectly ok to burn your rubbish, as long as you don't do it more often than once a month? Well, why don't they say so in the first place? :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

shiney

Yeah, probably! I could end up going around in circles with this one.

I think the problem will be compounded by our new bin emptying system, which I think is great. One week the green bin is emptied and one week the domestic rubbish is emptied and some people are finding just too much hard work to sort their rubbish out and bung it all in one bin.

:lol:

Folks eh?

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

How about contacting environmental health dept through your local councillor - most local authority depts bend to the will/ whim of the elected 'members'. I took this route on a local issue when the Environment Advice Line told me it couldn't act, I didn't accept this & contacted my councillor. He agreed with me & approached a different dept who resolved the problem.

Lillia
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Grrrrr....burning plastic!

This makes me SO angry! We have a neighbor who is doing this in the warmer months. The smell nauseates me and gives me a headache every time. The smell of plastic and chemicals is throughout the air, coming in our windows. I really never knew who to call about it.

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

It looks like your council tax is the problem.

It is clearly too cheap, since they can only afford to take your rubbish away once a fortnight.

Have a word with your mp, pay more council tax, stop the council forcing people into building fires in their gardens. Better still lobby your mp to have a go at the packaging people.

Ok, call the fire depatment out, that sounds cheap, and better than watching Wogan I suppose. :salute:
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

Lillia
Tom Good
Tom Good

merlin wrote:It looks like your council tax is the problem.

It is clearly too cheap, since they can only afford to take your rubbish away once a fortnight.

Have a word with your mp, pay more council tax, stop the council forcing people into building fires in their gardens. Better still lobby your mp to have a go at the packaging people.

Ok, call the fire depatment out, that sounds cheap, and better than watching Wogan I suppose. :salute:
Not the case here...ours is picked up weekly.
These people aren't forced into burning rubbish, I think they enjoy the chemical effect on their brains.
There is no excuse for it, especially with so many children around.
I honestly think they are enjoying a 'bonfire', of plastic~

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

You are probally right, one of the reasons I left, lousy rif raf :lol:
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/