Which Mushroom Books are Best

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
Bulworthyproject
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Which Mushroom Books are Best

These are a few of my favourite mushroom books. I'd be really interested to know what mushroom books others have and what they think of them.

Roger Phillips: Mushrooms. Very clear photos. Large book. Well laid out. Too large to be a field guide but I carry it anyway because I think that it is worth the weight. My personal favorite.

Michael Jordan: The Encyclopedia of Fungi of Britain and Europe. Very useful to cross reference, but index of Latin names only.

River Cottage Mushroom Book, Fantastic book to start with. Enjoyable to read and a great introduction to whcih fungi to eat and which to avoid. Well laid out.

Antonio Carluccio: Complete Mushroom Book (The Quiet Hunt), Beautiful book, another good book for someone starting to collect mushrooms, It's real strength is the delicious and simple recipes, which let you get the best out of what you have collected.

Collins Complete Guide to British Mushrooms and Toadstools
. Does not tell you if the fungi is edible. This omission prevents this book from being any use except to cross reference.

Collins Gem Mushrooms and Toadstools, Useful to get into identifying mushrooms, but not enough varieties to be useful on it's own. The fact that it is pocket sized is the best I can say about it. However it has not left the bookshelf in a long time.

Rot Watling: Fungi. This is not an ID guide, but a book about fungi for when you realise how little we all know about fungi and want to know more.
https://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk

Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working

Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy

mystichippie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Which Mushroom Books are Best

I have just bought the River Cottage Mushroom book and I am looking forward to using it as it does seem very easy to understand and has great pictures for identification. :iconbiggrin:

Duane Dibbley
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Which Mushroom Books are Best

There is a Rogers Mushrooms app for the Iphone which is really useful when out and about - it's basically the complete book but in a smaller package.