St Georges, well i think...

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Jimbo809
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

St Georges, well i think...

Hi all,

Newb to forums but love living off the land, growing my own etc.

Just picked these today, 99% they are St Georges but thought i would just check with some experts before sending myself to A&E!

Thanks for any advice in advance

jimbo
Attachments
IMG_2737.jpg
IMG_2737.jpg (26.44 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
IMG_2733.jpg
IMG_2733.jpg (27.39 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
IMG_2729.jpg
IMG_2729.jpg (35.13 KiB) Viewed 3434 times

Somnophore
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 53 14 N
longitude: 02 30 W

Re: St Georges, well i think...

Yeah they look right, fairly mature specimens, where were they growing, what do they smell like? There's not a lot else around to confuse them with at this time of year

markpeace
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I'm not entirely sure that they are, from the photo. I look for a arched/globed cap with inrolled edges. This looks to me a little bit flatter than I'd expect. Not to say that its not a georgie, though - I've found their morphology can vary lots. Couple of questions to help pin down an ID: was it growing in a heavily populated 'ring' (if its big, this can just look like a line)? Does it smell 'mealy' (like uncooked pastry)?

Jimbo809
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks Peeps,

They grow in my garden every year, in a ring type yes. They do smell and taste like (I had a nibble) like dough. It was heavily populated.

I plan to dry them out and make a mushroom risotto with them. Yum Yum

markpeace
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

ID sounds good, then - the smell and occurrence are a bit more reliable than the shape, especially as they get big.

Save a few and do yourself mushrooms on toast for a purist experience of them. Yum