Three Grain Pilot Bread.Wheat,flax,quinoa.

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Three Grain Pilot Bread.Wheat,flax,quinoa.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZXJXH 30 October 2012 Three Grain Pilot Bread.Wheat,flax,quinoa.
Pilot bread was made using whole grain wheat flour,flax,and quinoa. Called pilot bread, since it is very hard, with most of the moisture removed and has to be softened in a steamer,microwave,or dipped in liquid.This means it can be kept for long periods at ambient temperatures.(Hardtack) if you like)
The flour was made from whole wheat grains using a Wonder Mill flour grinder. The flax and quinoa seeds were beat in a blender with water.The mixture was kneaded into a ball, and rolled into a strip and cut into pieces. The pieces were placed on a teflon pan greased with butter.The pieces were cooked at 375 for 30 minutes, then flipped over and baked again at 375 for 30 minutes. This is to insure through cooking in the centre. The quantity depicted is about a 7 day supply for one person.The pilot bread is stored in the refrigerator or vacuum packed or frozen as desired.At room temperature, vacuum packed, it will keep about ten days or more before molding dependent upon the inherent moisture present. Pictures depict the process.

The Riff-Raff Element

Re: Three Grain Pilot Bread.Wheat,flax,quinoa.

I'm going to try this. Thanks, Durgan.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Errrmmmm... isn't it supposed to keep for much longer than that, Durgan? Or would that take longer cooking?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Durgan

MKG wrote:Errrmmmm... isn't it supposed to keep for much longer than that, Durgan? Or would that take longer cooking?

Mike
If there is any dampness a mold forms on the outside around ten days. Usually I brush it off and eat it anyway. Some I have kept for over a month but as insurance. I find keeping it in the refrigerator prolongs the life for very long periods. I have no need to store for long periods at home, but camping I would make the slices smaller and remove all the moisture by baking longer. The old sailing ship's crew was always complaining about moldy hardtack, since it was usually kept in barrels in a damp environment.

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

i like your mill!

Durgan

safronsue wrote:i like your mill!
Only had the flour mill for about two months. It is a dream machine.Probably a bit expensive. Simple to operate and almost indestructible. Realizing that commercial whole wheat flour was anything but, I decided to make my own flour. It handles all the so called less oily grains and is self cleaning.