Crab Apple / Wild Apple

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Crab Apple / Wild Apple

Are all wild apples Crabapples?

With permission, we picked some apples from a wild tree in a farmers field. They are very small, round green with a reddish tinge

They have made the most wonderfully coloured clear jelly. Great flavour too

So when i sell it, can i call it Crab Apple or should it be Wild Apple?

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Crab Apple / Wild Apple

Tricky question... I think technically crab apples are pure wild apples, but most wild apples you see are actually "wildings" - sort of semi-feral crossbreds of crab apples and domesticated varieties.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. Call it whichever one you think will sell best.
Cheers

Dunc

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Crab Apple / Wild Apple

Our native crab apples is Malus sylvestris, and domestic apples are Malus domesticus. But it's complicated by several other crab apple species that may have been introduced, and by the rather promiscuous natire of them all and the possibility of hybrid crosses.

If they're small and probably a bit woody fleshed, I'd go with crab apple. I'm not sure there are any apples that could be descrobed as wild.. feral at best :iconbiggrin:

Well done for finding them, my usual trees haven't done very much this year.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..