Want course on yarn dyeing and spinning

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
skeast
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Want course on yarn dyeing and spinning

So I have this mad idea, I want to have a go at making my own yarn. Maybe [would be cool] sheer sheep, process and clean yarn, dye with natural colours and then leave with enough to knit up something.

Anyone know of any courses ? or willing to share the skills ? or want to do this too ?

Sarah :flower:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Want course on yarn dyeing and spinning

Have a look at the Guild of spinners, weavers and dyers website - they have a directory. I went on a spinning course in October, in Perth, and had a splendid time. She also does some dyeing courses, so if you want her contact details pm me. I'm sure there will be others, just as good, a lot closer to you though.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular

There are quite a few of us on here who do this already, Me ncluded apart from sheering which I would love to learn. So ask away what do you need to know? :icon_smile:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

skeast

Hi Becks

Thanks for reply. Right now, I know nothing ! I knit a bit and just fancy the idea of doing something like this, with a group of similarly interested people, learning some skills, sharing some laughs, etc. Will keep searching...

becks77

Okie dokie, theres some groups on ravelry that might be useful then ,and your local spinners weavers and dyers guild will certainly be very useful www.wsd.org.uk is the national and you will be able to find local ones from there. But seriously get yoursef a fleece ( they'll be shearing soon dont pay over £5 is my advice or free is better if you can find a local farmer) then look on the internet for how to skirt, scour and clean it then play around with the fibre and have fun :iconbiggrin:
Also I'm no expert but feel free to get in touch
ps there was a whole piece that Red put together with regard scouring and washing on here somwhere. and remember theres no set ways how to do things
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

Have a look around your area and see if there are any local groups who process and spin the wool. The best way to learn is from others who already do what you want to do. I joined a local craft club and I am learning all sorts of exciting things. One of the regulars is a spinner and processes her own wool so we are all going to have a go. Next week is smelting, such variety and lots to learn.
Hope you manage to find what you need to get you started it does look fun and it would be great to say you made some thing from a raw fleece.