Meaty faggots

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Meaty faggots

I dread to think what comments I'll get from the topic title but I really couldn't think of a better one.

Last week ( or was it the week before) our local supermarket had lots of reduced price Offal. I bought three lambs hearts on one package 45p and liver ( I actually bought 5 packages because there was loads there) at 9p per package. Bunged them all into the freezer until I could decide what to do with it all.
Yesterday I decided to have a go at making faggots from some of the above. I used a variation on the one Frugal queen (blogger) has posted and it was so simple and very very tasty.
So here goes :-

1)In a large mixing bowl I added a packet of sage and onion stuffing mix and boiling water - just left that to cool a bit.
2)minced three hearts ( I did remove the pipes but not the fat) and a packet of the liver together. ( it was ox liver so I thought that might be very strong).
3)mix the meat and the cooled stuffing together and form into (billiard ball sized) balls cook in a low oven ( reg4)for about 30-40 mins.

4) cut two onions into thick slices and sprinkled over the top, followed by a thick gravy. back into the oven for another 1/2 hour .

delicious. This made 16 faggots and we used two per person... ps my OH really doesn't like offal AT ALL. Naturally I did not tell him what these were made of :iconbiggrin:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Meaty faggots

Sounds delicious, I will have a go at them, ......... although I think Doofaloofa will again be disappointed with the content of this thread, perhaps we could have other threads, like big bangers, impressive sausages or my particular favourite Tongan dish of mutton flaps

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sounds simple and delicious!

Definitely have to try this except it will be with pig offal, as I get given loads for the pets!

Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

Sounds yummy

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln