artichoke

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

artichoke

If I get some mini plug plants of green globe, can they be planted out now?

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: artichoke

If you are buying plugs now, you would be better off potting them on and keeping in a sheltered place, like a cold frame and then putting them out when the ground warms up in the early spring

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I got some leeks instead - Longbow.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you mean leeks seeds or plug plants, if plug plants, that is slightly weird, if you were to plant leek plug plants now, they would take a while to establish and then about mid march would start to go to seed, leeks are normally sown around March or April and then transplanted when they are young plants for harvesting from around October to some time in April depending on what variety you have sown

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have to say this has got me confused too. Like DnD, I can't see why anyone would produce leek seedlings for sale at this time of year.
Now I'm definitely one for growing stuff "out of season", but I don't think I would attempt planting out leek seedlings in January. I hope we're both wrong, but I'm sure they will immediately flower when spring arrives while they are still far too small to harvest.
Maybe treat them like spring onions as is suggested in some seed catalogues, which is a sure sign that some "celebrity" chef has used some like that.

If you want leeks to harvest in the summer, grow Bulgarian Giant, they have been bred to grow fast as they are not frost hardy.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

benner
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'd be grateful to know how you get on with the artichoke plugs. I purchased 6 at the end of November so, 3 are now dead and the other 3 are on their way to joining them. I've had them in pots in the conservatory as it's been very mild here, they seemed to take very well and were looking healthy. I noticed the odd leaf turning grey and shrivelling so moved the two plants indoors...they just died. The 4 remaining looked ok but I moved them into the kitchen last week as it's getting colder and one was struggling a bit. That one's now had it and the others are flopping.

It's not the first time I've killed artichokes, grew some from seed years ago which got above 6 inches and had a couple of pairs of leaves... then just died.

I think that I'm going to have to hunt down someone with established plants and persuade them to split off some side shoots. I will have artichokes on my allotment.
Sitting on the fence isn't without it's risks

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe your plants aren't actually dead, they should really be in a cold frame outside, they are perennial plants so will die down in the winter, leave them until spring and see if they start to regrow

benner
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

No cold frame... Will put back in the conservatory for now then.
Sitting on the fence isn't without it's risks