Gone off milk recipes

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gone off milk recipes

We seem to waste an awful lot of milk in our house, the trouble is that it is very difficult to judge how much to buy. Emma will drink it by the pint on some days and not at all on other and I only have it in tea. So what can I easily do with milk that is past its best?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

How about trying powdered milk, mate? :wink:

You could use the casein in the milk to make a wood glue........

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Tay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

If you know that you have too much, couldn't you freeze some before it goes off? At least then you'll have some in reserve in case you forget to buy any, or need more.
Not all those who wander are lost...

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Soda bread! That uses sour milk or buttermilk. I think you can use it in scones as well.

We buy long life milk so we never have the problem of milk going off.

manxminx
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I do the same as mmm but i buy the same amount of milk and have the longlife for when the kids decide to drink it all that way i always have milk for my cuppa in the morning
" OH for goodness sake turn that light off and save some electric for when i'm older" - kelvin age 9

kerry

Shirley

Was going to suggest scones too.... how about cheese? Not sure about if it's sour though, but if you notice you've got a bit too much then......?
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is Emma irratic milk drinking that makes it difficult to buy less. I have powdered as a reserve as well. - Emma does not like long life or milk thats been forzen. Very fussy but at least she buys the milk most of the time. I am just the one who gets wound up finding up to half a pint of gone off milk in the fridge once a week.

Soda bread sounds like a good idea, I was also wondering about cheese - on a very small scale production or yougurt?
and...... Twitter

farmerdrea
Living the good life
Living the good life

Pasteurised milk that's gone off is just nasty -- chooks and pigs love it, though! That said, you can still use sour milk, as long as it hasn't gone thick, in baking - it works as a raising agent, and makes for some really fluffy pancakes!

Cheers
Andrea
NZ

green-girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

You could freeze half the milk and then only defrost it when you're sure she's gonna drink it? My mum used to do this when we were little (or when milk was on special, she'd buy a few bottles and freeze them). I don't remember there being a difference in its taste or anything.... but we never ran out of milk!

PS - these days I have the good old tin of powdered milk sitting in my cupboard - I got sick of waking up to no milk for my tea!!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andy Hamilton wrote: I am just the one who gets wound up finding up to half a pint of gone off milk in the fridge once a week.
My sympathies Andy!

For years, on an irregular basis, Linda would buy cream with the thought of doing something with it and it would sit in the fridge until it went off :oops: . It got to the stage where even when buying it we would refer to it a "sacrificial cream" - a sacrifice to the refridgerator god to ensure continued operation of the fridge. I suppose it did work..............the fridge never broke down......... :wink:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

red

if its homogenised (sp?) then you will prolly not be able to make cheese

milk that separates into cream and skimmed can be made into cottage cheese fairly easily - let it separate completely then strain it - and throw away the watery stuff. the solids can be salted and are surprisingly ok. - but this has only worked on the ordinary non-homogenised stuff for me.

I guess the answer is to monitor the milk supply and start cooking with it if you get close the the bb date..
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

This site has a way they claim gets round the homogenised milk problem...

http://schmidling.com/milk.htm

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shows how much I know, but is pretty much all milk that you buy homogenised?

That page is a pretty good find pskipper.
and...... Twitter

red

Andy Hamilton wrote:Shows how much I know, but is pretty much all milk that you buy homogenised?
pretty much - I used to get milk from riverford (the veg box people) and that is ordinary - you have to shake it before use just like in the good old days :wink:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

I buy long life cream too - even when opened it lasts for weeks and weeks in the fridge. In fact I have never found any gone off! It tastes like fresh cream too not like that UK LL stuff that smells unnatural and has a sour taste.