Outragous wasters!

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
chadspad
A selfsufficientish Regular

Thats the one lol. French TV is, IMO, dreadful!
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Millymollymandy

Thanks Chadspad for the link. I don't have Sky any more as it was costing an arm and a leg and I can get loads of channels on Free to Air so why waste £30 a month? :shock:

Fee - I would have thought the fact that I've been discussing the programme Dumped (and mentioned/discussed loads of other TV progs on this forum) is an indication that I watch English TV!

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I don't understand the target figure in 'Outrageous Wasters' for electricity use. 1kwh for 4 people per day is 10% of the national average. Maybe I have it wrong should be 1kwh per person per day. Even then well below 3300kwh p.a. average.per household.

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Are those figures right? We used 690-odd kwh's last year. I know we're probably 'below average' electric users, but that's a huge difference to 3,300 kwh/year.

1kwh/household/day is very low. I think you'd have to dispense with the fridge and freezer and all the luxury items like TV, toasters, electric kettles, etc.. to achieve that, wouldn't you?

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funny that this program should come up here. I shall let you into a little secret..... we did a screen test to be the presenters of this last year. basically they we did not hear anything from them until they were looking for contestants and asked if they could post on here, I sent them a snotty email saying no way.

I am pretty happy we did not get it after all as the show is not that great.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

3300kwh is the figure mentioned in Moneysavingsexpert.com. I post there as Ken 68.......696 is damned good, thought my 1300 was slim.

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Our electricity costs anywhere upto 4 times the price that it does in the UK. It's a very, very good incentive to become 'greener'.

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Wow, Con......you paying the Maf..Ma...M..daren't say the name.

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Maybe. I'm too young to remember what it was like in the UK in the days of the Electricity Board (?), but here everything is provided by ENEL. Leccy hasn't effectively been deregulated, so they charge what they like.

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I run a sun water heating cooker, Con, similar to Solar Water roof panels, but this is manual and ground level. Surprising how little hot
water is needed when living solo. Next project a shower system.
Swap some of our rain for some of your sun.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Martin wrote:Sky? - that "wok-on-the wall, by golly I'm not visiting any pubs with that sign outside" Sky? :mrgreen:

omg! sky! recently round here they're started stating on their vans that they are britains only carbon neutral telly company... how? so many vans, so many transmitters, so many customers... they must be replanting the rainforest to have a claim like that!

and now i get back on topic: hated the programme, don't see what it's going to do for the cause.
and on that topic; hated ch4's "dumped" 'cos it sucked big fat arse.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:Thanks Chadspad for the link. I don't have Sky any more as it was costing an arm and a leg and I can get loads of channels on Free to Air so why waste £30 a month? :shock:

Fee - I would have thought the fact that I've been discussing the programme Dumped (and mentioned/discussed loads of other TV progs on this forum) is an indication that I watch English TV!
I didn't know if there were some channels that show some british shows, or you had satelite or something, i meant i don't know the timetable.

Sorry...

To be fair though, i dont know when its on anyway, i caught it on a late night repeat...

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

the.fee.fairy wrote: Nik and i are thinking of applying to the BBC for next time...we can pretend we are 'outrageous wasters'!!
Only problem with us is that we both think the Yurt is luxury camping... they actually have beds!! :dave:

OH my goodness... am watching a repeat on BBC3 right now... and "Stella and Mark" have just LEFT after only 24 hours complaining about worrying of their health... it's a bloody yurt...the kid surely needs a good... ok I'll stop right now! :wink:

"how bad the yurt actually is" (The kid..) oh my...
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Super.Niki wrote: [fee and nik] think the Yurt is luxury camping...

I love yurts. mind you i love my tent too so...well.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

We love yurts too!!

I'd love to live in a yurt for a while (not sure if i'd like to go in with my mum and dad - they snore :wink:

We love my tent too - its a tipi (not a real one...ho hum).

I'd just like to have all the expensive improvements done for me while i spend a week in a yurt living carbon neutrally. Maybe we can get them to do it while we live at BGG next year!