Wooly palaver

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Wooly palaver

Oh my what have I done!
I received a fleece off a pet sheep on freecycle
got some 'how to's' from t'interweb
washed it fluffed it up with a wire dog brush, and then spun some on a drop spindle - dyed some- spun some more - made more drop spindles with dowels and doorknobs
!! bought more fleece on ebay for a bargain price (I havent finished the first one yet) washed etc etc

OK I'm hooked, do I need therapy? No chance - this spinning is therapy in itself - all I need to do now is create a loom or find my knitting 'gene' that was lost somewhere back in the 1980's
nothing actually 'made' out of it yet but the bag of skeins both dyed and white-awaiting-colour is growing
as a winter project it should keep me quiet :flower:

Any ideas for patterns or projects?
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I find crocheting much easier than knitting, find a basic 'How to' instruction guide for granny squares (on line... ehow is pretty good) and make your self a lovely big throw/ blankie.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

By the way, it sounds great what you have done already, glad you are enjoying it. It must be really time consuming. What colours do you have?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

snapdragon

Annpan wrote:By the way, it sounds great what you have done already, glad you are enjoying it. It must be really time consuming. What colours do you have?
hi Annpan - thanks for the encouraging words :mrgreen:
time consuming? - well i guess so but while I've been reading stuff on here I've been spinning
It was three basic colours all dyed in one pot (looked like I'd swatted a Parrot) using a set of acid dyes (they came with 'rainbow dyeing' instructions)
Because I dyed the fleece not the spun wool they blend and change while being spun - one skein looks like storm clouds, another oranges and lemons, all small skeins as I use a hand spindle so I can wander about with it
i guess whatever I make will be multi coloured :lol:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind

red

sounds great

I hav some fleece lurking in the shed for the winter months... and the nights are drawing in

must get around to it
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whoa, Snapdragon!

A drop spindle! That takes some perseverence!

I've used a spinning wheel for years, but when I had a go at the drop spindle, I learned pretty quickly why they invented spinning wheels.

Well done! :cheers: :cheers:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Snapdragon, did you know that there's a discussion group on yahoo for people who use drop spindles, called spindlers? They also talk about what to do with the yarn - I'm knitting a shawl that was suggested on there at the moment.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

Shirley

We recently had a Neeps spinning day up here in Aberdeenshire and I had a go with a drop spindle and found it to be quite hard to do... but that was mainly because of my sore neck/shoulders at the time..... I love the fact that it's totally portable and you could spin on the go! Julie had even made up some drop spindles out of a bit of dowling and an old cd!!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Russian Doll

wow thats amazing

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

it's fab. I can't get the hang of crocheting myself, but I do knit from time to time. nice one with the spindle, good job!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi Snapdragon
If you decide to keep going and want some more fleeces let me know. I have a friend who keeps pet sheep and can't always get rid of the fleeces. He's in Wiltshire too.

Cheers
Zoe

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

anyone made their own carding combs before? if so how? ive got some fleece from when dad trimmed some of our sheep. have washed but all my books (im a biblio freek lol) say it needs to be carded before spinning.
I can make a drop spindle or try fix mums wheel but need to find a way to card. or is it possible to spin without carding?

Many thanks, Jed
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

snapdragon

frozenthunderbolt wrote:anyone made their own carding combs before? if so how? ive got some fleece from when dad trimmed some of our sheep. have washed but all my books (im a biblio freek lol) say it needs to be carded before spinning.
I can make a drop spindle or try fix mums wheel but need to find a way to card. or is it possible to spin without carding?

Many thanks, Jed
Yes it is :) it's what I've been doing, in the old days they used teasle heads, but a dog brush or dog comb does it if you don't feel the need to create 'rolags' I've been using a wire dog brush and teasing out and then brushing some and then spinning them from the tips (I understand it's called semi-worsted) - it works fine with the drop spindle as you dont have to work with the speed of the wheel

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

thanks snapdragon! i'll give it a shot after my exams then :roll:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

snapdragon

thanks for all the replies

it would be lovely to use fleece from a 'local sheep' :flower:
and I'll give that yahoo a look in and keep you posted :wink: