Ladies only...

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ladies only...

I have been using these for about 6 years now, and found them brilliant. Just think about all the other products going to the landfill, just as bad as "disposable" nappies.

They may appear expensive to start with, but think how much you spend each month anyway... and it is definately more pleasant to deal with these than dirty nappies!

These are Australian, but I'm sure there must be UK manufacturers too, or they would post these overseas anyway.

http://www.radpads.com.au/

2steps
A selfsufficientish Regular

I think there is a lady who makes and sells those on http://www.wahmall.co.uk

or you could make your own even

shiney

Definately funky sanny pads for sure!

I must have spent a small fortune on sanitary wear ~ probably enough for a very nice holiday. Blokes just don't know how lucky they are!

Thanks for the links ladies.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Tigerhair

Um

I'm an "inny" girl rather than an "outie" :oops: Anything for me?
Tigz x

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

You could try www.keeper.com/ Being an "outie", as you put it :wink: I haven't tried it, but have heard good things about it. Also, I have read about women using a small sea-sponge, with a length of dental floss secured on it (so it doesn't get lost! :shock: ) but have also not tried that.

Tigerhair

Ta

Thanks Magpie - I'll take a look... not sure about the sea sponge (and shouldn't that be in the sea!!??) :)
Tigz x

2steps

theres the mooncup too

Chickenlady

Somebody I speak to on another forum sells this kind of thing in the UK: http://www.plushpants.com/category/Natural%20Woman.html

I did buy a moon cup, but couldn't get on with it, although I know others who do.

I agree, the disposables are just as bad as chuck away nappies!
Haste makes waste

liwymi
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I have used the DivaCup for one cycle now. I was originally an 'outie' as I only used disposable pads, but I figured a menstrual cup would be very convenient, compared to the washable pads. I don't have anything against washable pads, was going to get some, but I can leave the cup in for 12 hours, its a lot less of a hassle.

I'm only 16, and a virgin, so it was a bit hard at first with insertion etc, but now its good. I havn't used it for long, but love it, I've already gone swimming with it, something I was never able to do before. Hopefully all the good things will continue.

If you girls wanted more info on them and real tesitmonials you can go to http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/ I went there before I bought mine.

Hope some of you are converted!
Mel.

glenniedragon

I'm a big fan of sea pearls, I've found them comfortable and easy to use. They are farmed sponges and as they are collected they spawn (apparently. is it spawn that sponges do?) so they are self perpetuating in that way- I weighed up that against landfill and decided that I preferred this option. After a few cycles you get to know your own body a bit more and can predict when to wash them out rather than waiting til things get, er, critical, you could say. I was also a sufferer of thrush that was linked to my hormonal monthly changes and after a couple of months I hadn't had a single bout (I used to have canestan duo on repeat prescription it was that frequent) I had put a couple of drops of Tea tree oil on the sponge at each change and that may have had something to do with it. But -touch wood- I havent had thrush for over a year now and I'm in no rush to return to conventional sanitary wear.

I buy mine from my local health food shop

kind thoughts
Deb

Mandyz
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I also use a Diva Cup and love it. I was an "outie" most of the time before this. I've used it for years now and recommend it to all of my friends.
My sister uses the Keeper. I hear there is a difference between the Kepper and DivaCup - one is wider, one longer. I've never compared ours.
I also use moonpads. I bought a few at first, but now I make my own. My favourite homemade pads have terricloth in the middle (best for absorbancy; and good use for an old towel) and flannel on the outside.

What I don't understand is why women ever started using yucky disposables in the first place? Cloth feels so much nicer!
(I do know the reasons why, but they're stupid - just like swiffer disposable dusting cloths)

Mandyz

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes, I have found the cloth a lot more comfortable too, especially after having a baby and having stitches. :pale:

I have noticed I am much more connected to my cycle now, too, and can almost control the flow, so the pad hardly gets used. Maybe that just comes with age anyway though.

nick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

while trying to find patterns and info for fitted cloth nappies, came across the suggestion to use wadding in between the layers of toweling so it is more absorbant. this means that when the towelling dries it doesn't all stick together hence reducing it's absorbancy. haven't tried it for pads yet.

albert onglebod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mine are made from an outer shell of fleece and 2 layers of toweling for the inner.The fleece has a wicking action.
I used an ordinary commercial pad with wings for the pattern and added a press stud to help keep them in place.

:mrgreen: just realised that sounds a bit wierd coming from someone called Albert :mrgreen:

ina

albert onglebod wrote: :mrgreen: just realised that sounds a bit wierd coming from someone called Albert :mrgreen:
We'll rename you Alberta! Or would you prefer Albertina? I think that goes even better with Onglebod...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)