What to do with cucumbers!

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

What to do with cucumbers!

Apart from eat them of course! Seriously I see rather a lot of cucumbers forming on my 3 plants and apart from hubby making cuc relish (that's his job!) I wonder what else I could do that is a bit different. Cos they ain't gonna freeze!

We have eaten a few already and they are soooooooo spikey that I need gloves for picking. Of course I never have my gloves when I need them so there are a lot of 'ows' in my veg patch!

shiney

You need a major Greek Night at your place!

Tzatziki by the bowlful and a nice feta salad.

http://www.wellesley.edu/Activities/hom ... tziki.html

Cucumber is quite nice with a splash of balsamic vinegar on too.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Millymollymandy

Mmmmm I love Tzatziki! But it only uses one cucumber. I've got 8 in the fridge and a load more needing picking within the next week. :shock:

I've already made pickle and then I'm going to make relish (hubby too busy!). I think I'll also try them stir fried - there's a Ken Hom recipe somewhere I came across - then I think I shall give some to the neighbours who are giving me the horse poo!

It's difficult with veggies that you can't freeze!

shiney

Cucumbers for poo, what a great deal!

I am sure your neighbours will love the cucumbers tho. :mrgreen:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Millymollymandy

They did! They complimented me on them so they got given more and in return we have some pallets and some old timbers to make compost bins for all the poo they have given us. Tis a fair swap I reckon. :mrgreen:

You should see my poo pile though! Amazing what 4 horses can do in 2 months!!! :cheers:

Chickenlady

Can't stand it myself, by doesn't gaspacho have cucumbers in it? (cold soup - yeuck!)

Had some lovely thinly sliced cucumbers pickled with onions at somebody's house the other day. They were really delicious and crunchy.

Millymollymandy

Chickenlady wrote:Can't stand it myself, by doesn't gaspacho have cucumbers in it? (cold soup - yeuck!)
Yes, but I've never tried it as I really don't like the sound of it!

ina

I remember my mum making stuffed cucumbers when I was a kid and we had a cucumber glut in the garden - same way as you'd stuff courgettes or peppers, with minced meat etc. I never really liked them much, but maybe that was because homegrown cucmbers in those days tended to be bitter. And it was before courgettes became known in Germany, they are probably better suited for stuffing.

Ina

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

M3, please could you post the recipe for cucumber relish and the pickle as I too have a glut of cucumbers...I picked 6 big long cucumbers of a single plant the other day.....I got them stored in the cellar but I think they will go rotten soon as we can't eat them quickly enough...so I'd be really grateful for the recipes

Millymollymandy

OK, will look them out then type them up! They are pretty much the same recipe but the relish has loads more sugar in it, so it's a bit like the Bicks cucumber relish that you used to be able to get (had family and friends searching the UK for it for us but apparently it's not available any more!).

The pickle is a recipe I haven't tried before so don't know yet if it is any good.

However only used 4 cucs in the relish and I've still got 6 in the fridge. They have been there ages and are still OK.

I am pleased the plants are dying (dug the worst one up and something has eaten through the roots but I didn't find a grub). My cucs are wonderful but just what do you do with so many?!!

And I hope you grew onions cos you'll need a few for these recipes!

Millymollymandy

Ohmigod I have counted 22 cucumbers ready to pick on my two remaining plants. I am giving them to the chickens now!

Nigel
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Cucumber Pickle (Sweet)

:? no such luck as to having a glut of cucumbers here but here is a pickle recipe for you lucky people with lots to spare..

3lb. cucumbers - weighed when peeled and sliced
1lb. onions tinly sliced
2 green peppers - seeded and thinly sliced
1 1/2 oz salt
10oz brown sugar
1 1/2 mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground mace
1pint wine vinegar

Layer the cucumber, onions and peppers in a bowl sprinkling well with the salt. Cover and leave for 2/3 hours.
Drain, rinse and drain again.
Add the rest of the ingredients to a pan bring to the boil and boil for 2 minutes. Add the drined vegi''s and bring back to the boil again stir well for a few minutes and bottle up.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

Millymollymandy

Nigel - you're a star!!! Cos that's practically the same recipe as I already made that I was about to type up. Thanks!

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks Nigel I have already looked at M3's recipe for relish in the recipe section and now with your recipe as well I hope to use up all my cucs without wasting any. Now all I have to worry about is whether or not Iwill have enough jars!

Jo
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Cucumber Jam

I was leafing through a friend's copy of an ancient Marguerite Patten cookery book last evening and I found a recipe for Cucumber Jam.

Cucumber Jam

2 lbs cucumber (after peeling)
2 lbs sugar
juice of 2 lemons
1/8 pint water

Simmer the diced cucumber in the water until soft.
Add the lemon juice and sugar.
Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
Boil rapidly until set.
(If preferred, you can add a little ground ginger to taste)

NB This jam tends to be a little pale in colour. You may like to simmer the cucumber with a little of the peel left on and then rub through a sieve.
The peel helps to give a cool, green colour but too much peel will give the jam a bitter taste.

I'd love to make some just to see what it would taste like!

Jo