Earth Hour

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
hedgewitch
A selfsufficientish Regular

Earth Hour

I thought I'd posted this before but I can't find it (senior moment!!)

It started with a question: How can we inspire people to take action on climate change?
The answer: Ask the people of Sydney to turn off their lights for one hour.

On 31 March 2007, 2.2 million people and 2100 Sydney businesses turned off their lights for one hour - Earth Hour - sending a powerful national and global message that it is possible to take action on global warming.

This massive collective effort reduced Sydney's energy consumption by 10.2% for one hour, which is the equivalent effect of taking 48,000 cars off the road for one hour.
With Sydney icons like the Harbour Bridge and Opera House turning their lights off, and unique events such as weddings by candlelight, the world took notice.

At 8pm on 29 March 2008, Earth Hour goes global, with cities and towns around the world taking stand on the greatest threat our planet has ever faced, and millions of people uniting to turn the tide on global warming.

more.....
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

possum

just done it in christchurch here, tonight
Opinionated but harmless

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

We participated!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Milims

We will be turning every thing off tonight - perfect opportunity for a bonfire and BBQ! Earth Hour party!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

hedgewitch

I'm gonna have a bonfire too!
:flower:
My Blog
My Website

Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I just did it! :cheers:

Slight accident though - managed to burn a hole in the tablecloth with a candle :shock:
Smile :)

Shirley

We almost set fire to the house when D struck a match to light a candle and it broke off and went behind a box in the living room!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's infuriating. I'd never heard of Earth Hour, so I googled it. Only to find that the number of UK cities and towns signing up for it was (you guessed it) a big fat ZERO.

Dori
Tom Good
Tom Good

We had all our lights off becuase we were out, but the kids want to do it tomorrow, and they want all electrics off so we can play a game by candlelight! Our very own earth-hour 24 hours late!!! :lol:
When it rains look for rainbows, when it's dark look for stars

The Riff-Raff Element

It's a fabulous idea though. Why can't we dim the lights every night? Would it really make the streets less safe if, say, one in two streetlights were switched off at midnight? Or the lights on public buildings?

Our commune turns off all the lights at 11.30, though this is because it is broke and trying to save money wherever it can. Our mayor is a useless git and fouled up the finances some years ago. We're going to be paying off the debt until 2013 but he still manages to find €3000 each July 14th for fireworks.

Anyway, we're all now used to it being dark in the middle of the night and I hope the practice will continue even when we can afford the power.

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

According to wikipedia London and Birmingham are signed up. I ended up not turning the lights back on again once I'd got the candles nicely positioned!

hamster

Same here, though we've managed to break one of the lights in the bathroom and can't turn it off, so we didn't technically do Earth Hour, but we did it in spirit!
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

Enormous Sage
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

They seem to be making the statement that the cities are turning off all the "unnecessary lights" for a few hours.
So if they are unnecessary, why not turn them off all the time or just get rid of them? :?

Dori
Tom Good
Tom Good

Enormous Sage wrote:They seem to be making the statement that the cities are turning off all the "unnecessary lights" for a few hours.
So if they are unnecessary, why not turn them off all the time or just get rid of them? :?
Good point! Also, so many people I have spoken to, had no idea this was happening, and it was something everyone could join in with,. I wish things like this were mentioned in the papers or on the news so people who aren't here could do it as well!
When it rains look for rainbows, when it's dark look for stars

hedgewitch

I know what you mean.
I sent an article in to the local paper and they didn't print it - didn't even have the decency to email me back to let me know one way or the other!!
My Blog
My Website