Rabbit fencing

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Brod
Tom Good
Tom Good

Rabbit fencing

Has anybody had any experience with the 1 inch hexagon wire rabbit fencing ? Just had my entire crop of transplanted cabbage chewed down to the ground and a bay tree and sweet fennel de-leafed. Not possible to stand around exacting revenge on the rabbits (rabbit curry , drool) it's an outlying bit of ground I garden and only get to it on weekends.
Thought about ring fencing it with the above fencing, will it work ?
“It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company.” - George Washington

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

I think you'll have to dig it in a bit, to - but maybe somebody knows better how far down those buggers can dig...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

About 5 to 6 feet in a warren. Luckily, they won't dig that deep to get at your lettuce. Even so, a buried depth of a foot (or even 18 inches) is probably necessary.

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've heard about not digging very deep, per se, but folding and burying the fencing outward. This would cause the rabbit to dig into the fencing. Can't guarantee succes, as I've never had a rabbit problem myself. See drawing

|
|
| :stop:
*********soil
\ _ _ _

Good luck, Jandra

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

I cut the turves out side the my fence and buried the the netting as shown by Jandra and then replaced the turves. Never suffered the rabbit problem
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Milims

According to our local pest control officer and country gentleman - the best way to stop rabbits coming into your veg patch is to tie rags soaked in creosote around the bottom of your fence
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

Jandra's method knocked our rabbit problem on the head years ago, if you bury it too deep they can jump it and if you can still get real creosote please tell me where from as the replacements are poop.

Cheers, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Brod
Tom Good
Tom Good

Jandra wrote:I've heard about not digging very deep, per se, but folding and burying the fencing outward. This would cause the rabbit to dig into the fencing. Can't guarantee succes, as I've never had a rabbit problem myself. See drawing

|
|
| :stop:
*********soil
\ _ _ _

Good luck, Jandra
Great minds think alike, thts what I did (but mainly to save the hassle of digging the bottom in !) Have replanted the cabbages and added loads of leek seedlings, will so what the state of play is this weekend.

Brod
Tom Good
Tom Good

Well the good news is that it appears to be working. Used 1 m high netting with the bottom 300 mm folded over and weighed down with stones.
Planted a fresh batch of cabbage plants weekend before last and their still there 11 days later.
Now if I just stop the pigeons pulling up the peas.....