Herbs in a strawberry planter - shade or sun?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Herbs in a strawberry planter - shade or sun?

I have acquired a huge strawberry planter from mum. (Nice one mum.) As I already have wild strawberries in hanging baskets (doing very nicely thank you!) I've decided to grow herbs in the planter instead.

I plan to put chives in the top and rosemary, basil, parsley, thyme, sage and coriander around the sides. (I'll leave the mint out so that it doesn't take over).

Before I fill the planter with compost to the point of not being able to move it - what is the best place to grow this selection of herbs...?

I have an (almost) south facing wall that receives full sun pretty much until 4pm-ish each day, this is outside the kitchen and so slightly more convenient; or a nice spot next to the shed that only receives full sun for a couple of hours in the middle of the day (being in total shade all other times) and is only slightly less convenient to get to (albeit around the side of the house).

This is the first time I've grown herbs en masse outside but have had success with herbs on the conservatory windowsill up until now. Any advice for outdoor herbs gratefully received.

Thanks, Jobi1
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

Enormous Sage
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've got a couple of pots of 'erbs growing against a west facing wall and they seem happy enough.
Ms Sage has herbs planted against a south facing wall and they are thriving.

Only thing to beware of is that some of them will grow faster than others and turn the plant pot into a sort of herbal teritorial war. In my garden, the Oregano has destroyed the Thyme in the same pot, and the Curry plant vs Rosemary is turning into a right old scrap.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I think that's probably right :lol: . Multiple planters might look pretty, but are they effective? A little pocket of parsley is going to be used up in one application. Same, probably for thyme. Rosemary is going to want the entire pot. And I suspect that the battle is going to rage regardless of whether you put the planter in shade or full sun. Best leave, I think, multiple planters for single species - strawberries??? - and grow your herbs separately and in the amounts you really need.

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

Those strawberry pot things look lovely, but practical, not so much. As well as the crowding issues they require a lot of water, regardless of whether you're growing herbs or strawbs in them. Maybe some kind of trailing, bee-attracting flowering plant would be better for it?
Harm None!

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

You see - I knew there was a reason why I posted on here!

You're all very knowledgeable and have perhaps prevented me making a huge mistake. Thanks!

I'll go back to the original idea of planting herbs in individual pots - not so hard to move around to where I want them then.

Just need to decide what to use the planter for now!
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I agree with ocailleagh, I am trying one this year for the first time.
These planters sound like a good idea but .... with the centre tube it's easy to water the bottom ones and the top ones are obviously easy, but there is no way to water the middle ones.
If you discover a better use for one, post it here please as I haven't a clue what to do with mine next year.

marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

Regarding watering, Put a rainwater down pipe or similar down the centre while you plant, fill the pipe with shingle, then gently slide the pipe out of the pot leaving a column of shingle up the centre of the pot.

As selection of thymes did look good but some died over last winter so I've gone back to strawbs this year, even though I've got a strawberry bed too.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I've got my herbs in a concrete planter, but I put partitions of slate between each plant as I've got thyme, oregano and sage. all space-eaters.

my local snails seem to be big oregano and chilli fans. the chillis are now atop the tomato frame and the oregano may need to be sacreficed for the good of the tomatoes :(
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!