This recipe has to be one of the rare ones that tastes amazing, costs next to nothing and is really easy to make. It is also one that you can make up as you go along using up whatever you have in the cupboard. I made this last night and there was not a bit left, even the baking dish was cleaned out.
- 5 fairly large potatoes (bit smaller than massive baking potatoes)
- Pot of Cream or cream fresh.
- 250g Hard Cheese (Cheddar will do)
- Mixed herbs
- Crushed garlic
- Chopped mushrooms
- Runner beans
- Chopped Courgette(Zucchini)
- Chopped bacon rashers
- Chop the potatoes into flat even bits about 50mm or quarter inch thick
- Place one layer of the potato on the bottom of a baking dish (25cm x 25cm or 10 inches x 10 inches).
- Grate cheese over the top then pour over the cream and sprinkle the herbs. At this stage you can add any extras you might wish to, try not to over do it.
- Add another layer of potatoes and keep layering up.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top and grate a final layer of cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 220c (200c on fan ovens), Gas mark 7, 425f for about 30mins to 45 or until the potatoes are soft and the top is browned. To test push one of the top layer potatoes out of the way and poke a fork in one on the next layer down if that is soft then its done.
This should feed about 4 people or one big fat person, to feed more or fatter people just use a bigger baking dish and up the quantities.