Alltments are a great source of exercise

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Jackie

Alltments are a great source of exercise

I have had 2 allotments for 5 years and they are the greatest way to get out into the open air ,excerise and have peace and quiet..apart from the produce you get.

They are very "trendy" at the moment and most town councils have allotment plots.You can find out more from your local council.
What about more articles on allotments.I have one for Veg and one for fruit...Just picked 90lb of white grapes in the South East of England ..Black still to ripen .

Ken (68)

I agree

Couldn't agree more, Jackie, although mine now sold for building, but knocking on a bit so won't take another one on.Discovered recently ' no dig' just layers of mulch on top of seed potatoes. It really does work .If anything less slugs.Cheers Big Ears.

ken68
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

allotments

When these allotments were sold orf, we were given the opportunity of moving to others and although several of us older people didn't take it up, most did, and for the better in a way because lovely light land, the sort you need not dig over until spring as you sow the seeds, so a big saving in effort. The changeover was Oct 4th and went today to have a look at the old land. Really sad. Took a chap who had his lottie there for 40 years. In tears.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

moving allotments

Me and Dave were talking about this the other day, we both agreed that having an allotment ties you to a town or city. I have not had mine for anything like as long as the old fella you speak of must have, but I am still very attached to it. I feel for him, must be terrible to see something that you have cultivated change into something else.

Is the land gonna be used for new housing?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

ken68
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

allotments

Yes Andy...gone for building. Would have thought, being near a railway, they would be affordable homes, but apparently two and three bedroom bungalows, luxury style. Was talking to a chap from London the other day, he said he was able to sell up there, buy a better place here, buy a new car, and still bank £100,000. Can't blame the Council, either, because half the plots were empty so rationalising seems the thing.Perhaps the rates will come down :lol: