Wee wee on the compost heap

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
solarwind
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Wee wee on the compost heap

I'm currently in the process of constructing a composting toilet, but her indoors reckons I'm just going through the motions!

battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Okay, finally got the photos of the new compost loo! The male urinal pipework is linked to the urine seperator which diverts all urine out directly onto a straw bale outside. We have biotabs to pee on which neutralises the urine and stops smell, also means very little water is needed to flush the urine. The solids fall into a bin and sawdust is stored in the box next to the loo. There is a ventilation pie running to the outside of the building via the sawdust box. Have not set up the solar water heating yet so the shower is still a "camping 12v pump" dropped in large bin of water heated by propane gas (takes about 6mins to heat enough for two good showers). Planning eventually to get a water heater which is a large 80ltre tank on small wood burning stove which will sort out showers in winter...just got to find one in the local portuguese shops! Also now have an "en suite" compost loo with seperator mainly just for night-time pees...this is piped onto a straw bale at other end of the barn. There is a small bucket and sawdust for "emergencies" in it but have not had to use it yet! Next job is to finish painting the walls...ran out of emulsion and time this trip!
useful to sit on when closed!
useful to sit on when closed!
100_0171.JPG (42.71 KiB) Viewed 799 times
lid up!
lid up!
100_0170.JPG (42.84 KiB) Viewed 799 times
for those men who dont like to sit...a luxury compared with a bush in the rain!
for those men who dont like to sit...a luxury compared with a bush in the rain!
100_0169.JPG (42.38 KiB) Viewed 799 times
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

stevetc

Wow! That looks the business mate! Much nicer than ours, pretty inspiring. . . And i like your shower idea - we haven't got one, so i'm still going round to mates' houses for showers . . . but i reckon the 12v pump idea could do the trick . . .