Tomato Types

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Tomato Types

I've looked but noticed the P&P was astronomical - I buy most of my tom plants from the garden centre and only bother to raise a few of one variety here from seed because I get very leggy ones raising them on the windowsill indoors. Also I don't want 5-10 of each different variety! Eeeks!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

The Riff-Raff Element

Millymollymandy wrote: Also I don't want 5-10 of each different variety! Eeeks!
Ah, now, I do. I grow upwards of 100 plants and still never seem to have enough :wink:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, you make me feel totally inadequate. :pale:

I'm only growing 5 varieties this year which will probably amount to 25 plants or as many as I can fit in the greenhouse.
The varieties I'm growing are Paul Robeson, White Queen as 2 new ones, Ferline, Unnamed, a cherry type that I saved seed from the year before last from fruit bought in Lidl, Totem which is my standard windowsill pot grown variety and Mega Bite which is a new pot grown one I'm trialling.
Looking forward to sowing them already. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Millymollymandy

I'm not having more than 10 plants! There's a limit to how much we can eat. :shaking: Mind you I've never got it right with the right amount of anything yet..... :iconbiggrin:

Durgan

Millymollymandy wrote:I'm not having more than 10 plants! There's a limit to how much we can eat. :shaking: Mind you I've never got it right with the right amount of anything yet..... :iconbiggrin:
Sure beats commercial tomato juice in the can.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SFCQC 10 August 2011 Tomato Juice
Many tomatoes in the garden so they are converted into tomato juice. After experimenting the method is well established.

Wash tomatoes, cut into quarters, cook on very low heat until soft, use only a glass of water to start the boiling process. Beat into a mash using the portable blender, strain through a small mesh to separate seeds and fiber from juice. The first fiber is put through a juicer to extract more nutrients. The juice is then placed in jars and pressure canned at 12 PSI for 20 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. The juice is probably as pure as can be made,and without any additives.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't do juice, don't really like it, but I DO bottle a lot.
The cherry ones I grow stay firm even when dead ripe, and those are peeled and bottled whole, then used for Sunday breakfasts on toast (with bacon and eggs).
I then have several dozen jars of ordinary smashed up tomatoes for using in cooking, several large jars for making soup, jars of purée and some jars of really thick purée for home made pizzas and new this year, purée frozen in ice cube trays and bagged up. Those are becoming extremely useful in a variety of ways, easy just to drop a couple in stews, soups, risottos and sauces.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Millymollymandy

I do something similar but just eat the cherry toms as is and don't bottle them whole. Ate our last ones a few days before Xmas. What I get a bit fed up with is a living room that looks like this in the autumn, not to mention all the pumpkins and walnuts drying out all over the place too! :lol:

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

I only ordered one sort from Suttons, Tigerella, and there was a note in with the other seeds they did send saying "not available". I didn't order any others as I get so many seedlings coming up where last years tomatoes were that I probably won't need any more.