Bamboo advice please!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Bamboo advice please!

I would like to buy some bamboo as a smallish feature in my garden.I know it can be invasive,so will buy a suitable container to grow it in.Would I need to keep potting it into different containers,so would it be happy just growing in the same one,for a few years?TIA
Last edited by happyhippy on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Bamboo advice please!

It's a while since I had some, hh, but if memory serves we planted it up in an old galvanised dustbin. We filled the bottom with polystyrene packaging, broken up. The clump spread across to fill it over 2-3 years by which time we could harvest some of the taller stems from the middle to use as canes in the garden. It stayed in there for at least 6 years - when we moved up here we gave it to a friend who split it and potted it up in something more decorative and it was still thriving there a good few years later when I visited her.
The upshot of my ramble is that they're tough as old boots. I think it will probably survive whatever. Oh, I remember it's quite hungry and thirsty. We used to buy those long-acting fertiliser clumps (the ones that look like budgie feed) for it and chuck a good couple of handfuls in the bin in the spring.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

happyhippy

Thanks GA xox

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Hi folks

In Australia, particularly on the East Coast, invasive bamboos have created a lot of problems to the point where many species are banned from sale. In defense of bamboos, they are an attractive and very useful plant and can provide very useful building materials. We in the Weed World classify bamboos into two groups - rhizomatous or running (invasive) species and clumping (non-invasive) species. The former are mostly Phyllostachys species and have been common garden plants. There are many non-invasive species that can be used even in very cold climates, look for cold tolerant Bambusa species (eg B. multiplex or B. textilis) or most species in the Fargesia genus. There are many cultivars and varieties and choose carefully, some can grow very high.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem over here, Weedo, is that there doesn't appear to be any onus on the seller to use the proper name. So they can just sell it as bamboo without any reference to its invasive properties. Unless that's altered in recent times - I'm fairly certain that when we bought ours it had no label at all, from the bargain corner!
Maggie

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm trying to get rid of a clump. I cut it down but now the bits of cane that are left are rock solid. Can I water with something like salt water and have it die or will I have to dig it out?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Either dig it out or adopt a panda!
Maggie

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

The latter sounds the most sensible answer to the problem. Where can I get one? (Although it would mean I needed to plant bamboo...)

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

From the problem I guess this is a Rhizomateous species - Phyllostachys spp. possibly Cutting it down will not affect it in the slightest - the growing points etc. are all underground. So, constant surveillance and digging is your non - chemical solution (salt is a chemical also). Chemical wise, let it grow back out a little (about 150mm high) and spray with glyphosate; again there will be some re-growth so the cycle needs repeating. Of practicable, you could dig a trench around the patch and sink a barrier of plastic / metal garden edging (or similar) about 600mm deep to contain the weed while you are dealing with it.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

You could also try ammonium sulphamate (I'm not a fan of glyphosate, although could be tempted with this damned ground elder!).
It's sold as a compost accelerator but is very good at "composting in situ" live plants, so be careful where you splash it and don't plant anything there for at least 3 months. You'll definitely need more than one application.
Maggie

ina

Brewtrog wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:36 am The latter sounds the most sensible answer to the problem. Where can I get one? (Although it would mean I needed to plant bamboo...)
I think quite a few zoos are looking to source bamboo. Due to lockdown there's a problem with the usual imports.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

happyhippy

Wow I posted the OP 4 yrs ago! Time flies.I managed to source some free.The garden centre wanted quite alot of money for a Bamboo,so I posted a request on my local town's page and hey presto...someone offered to give me some.I've had it now for 3 yrs.I only dug up a couple of tiny pieces from this person's garden.Planted into a sturdy container which is standing on concrete.Its a great ornamental plant which sits near my front door.Its not huge but has grown into a nice size.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey, hh, how's things?
Maggie

happyhippy

Hey Green Aura,nice to hear from you! I havent been on the forum for a long time.I got an email today re my bamboo post,which reminded me to have a look at the forum.Yep things are going well thanks GA,busy at the allotment atm.Changed jobs (Nursing NHS)so obviously busy challenging times.How about you?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

All's well up here. Lockdown barely noticeable for us antisocial bods. You keep safe, OK! :hugish:
Maggie