What are you harvesting now?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What are you harvesting now?

Odsox wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:38 am
Not happy with my courgettes though, trying a new (to me) variety and after producing about 3 fruits per plant have now stopped. Still producing male flowers but no females.
Haven't planted mine out yet - still danger of frost! Should get a bit warmer later this week, so I'll chance it then. With some cover, of course. Wish I had a greenhouse...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

My courgettes will stay on the window ledge for now along with the pumpkins and butternut squash. This week is not the week to let things out looking at the forecast. There's a definite wind chill effect.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Fingers crossed for next week - it's getting a little cluttered in my greenhouse now!
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Not harvesting much more than nettles and ground elder. We have one new raised bed which was intended for beans but as only one has sprouted from an entire tray of 4 different varieties it may now be a salad bed!

My courgettes are in the new cold frame, which is attached to the new greenhouse. We had to finish constructing it in hail but at least we can now get in the greenhouse again, having decanted the big courgette pots into it.

Exciting times. New beds planned. Assuming we ever get sun again, that is. :roll:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Green Aura wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:51 am Not harvesting much more than nettles and ground elder. We have one new raised bed which was intended for beans but as only one has sprouted from an entire tray of 4 different varieties it may now be a salad bed!
Nettles still usable? I've got loads of them - I was freezing them and using them like spinach but thought they might be past it by now.

What do you use ground elder for? I have tonnes of that...
AKA Simon.

Flo

Erm - I thought that the Romans bought it over and cultivated it as a laxative. :mrgreen:

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Lots and lots of grass. Apparently my house mate didn't clear all the roots out before planting onions. Plenty of weeds, not much else. So saying there is plenty of wild garlic frozen now
Viper254 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:41 pm Nettles still usable? I've got loads of them - I was freezing them and using them like spinach but thought they might be past it by now.
They seem like they should still be okay over here (N Wales), I'm intending on harvesting enough for nettle beer just as soon as my cider has finished fermenting. Maybe a bit old for eating, but can't see why they shouldn't be okay for beer/wine/tea

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

We're about a month behind everywhere further south, Viper. So they're getting near the end but the tips are still good, for now.

I don't use much ground elder, especially now that's getting a bit big too but all tasty goodness. As it's growing in an area that's due to be cleared and paved, we need to get it while we can.
Maggie

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Just got my first "crop" of lemonbalm in this morning - going to dry it for tea, which I was too slow to do last year :)

I've missed it over the winter months!
AKA Simon.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Harvested a few but the majority of my overwintered onions will soon be ready.
Very pleased with these as they are from seed I saved last year, the first time I've ever saved onion seed for re-sowing.
I'm also pleased that out of the 63 onions in the 2 rows only 1 is going to flower, so I can save seed again for the cost of only one onion. Last year there were 4 that bolted.
Of course the one that's bolting is almost in the middle of the row, stopping me from sowing something else :roll:

Just the right size for the two of us due to multiple growing.
onions.jpg
onions.jpg (208 KiB) Viewed 52091 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

They look lovely, just the right size.

The only thing we're harvesting currently are green chillies. However, it won't be long before we can start picking some sweet peppers called Elf. They're small, but seem to be thick-walled and apparently are yellow when ripe - ours are starting to turn. I know no more about them as they were a freebie from the chilli seed company and there doesn't seem to be any info online.

Depending on the taste, of course, we'll be keeping some seeds - they seem perfect for our short growing season and the only sweet peppers we've had any measure of success with!

Everything in the garden (we have two new raised beds now :cheers: ) and greenhouse had a quick growth spurt in the great weather we had last week but it's back to 10C and dull now, probably for the next week or two. Still, it's probably better weather for finishing the fencing and other structural stuff. Two more raised beds and paths should finish it all off quite nicely.
Maggie

Flo

How about weeds? The ever changing weather ain't helping. Lettuce leaves and radish are fine but everything else seems to be hanging back - can't blame it.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Lettuce, chard, spinach, broad beans and a few strawberries are starting to roll in :)
AKA Simon.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

A few of today's offerings. Courgettes from the cold frame, tomatoes and peppers from the greenhouse and golden cayenne chillies from the windowsill.
Attachments
IMG_0198a.jpg
IMG_0198a.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 51402 times
Maggie

Flo

You ain't got broad beans in the basket. Nor carrots. The raspberries are over. We've been inundated. Tomatoes are late this year due to them getting off to a poor start. We're between lettuce crops - one gone and the other not quite ready. New potatoes in store and being eaten.