Homemade fertiliser

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
grumpyoldgit
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Homemade fertiliser

A bloke that I know makes his own fertiliser from nettles and I'm wondering if any ishers do the same and is it any good. I made a small amount yesterday but I don't know whether I should have removed the seeds before I put them to soak for three weeks. Can anyone help ?
Michael

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Homemade fertiliser

I don't think the seeds will do any harm, because you need to strain it, before you use it and then diliute it in the watering can - it's quite strong stuuf so you don't want to be applying it neat.

The other thing you can do, next time maybe, is add some comfrey to the nettles, when soaking. That mix gives pretty much everything you need for a plant food. The easiest way to do it is to put the plants in a mesh bag, old pillowcase etc (something that let the water in!) and leave it in a tub of rainwater for several weeks. That way you can give it a good squeeze, in the bag then dump the contents on your compost easily. BTW the stuff stinks, so it might be handy to have a few old pop bottles or something with lids. :lol:

If you've only got a small garden you might need to find someone who grows comfrey, rather than growing your own - they're probably desperate to get rid of some as it's rampant when it gets going!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

grumpyoldgit
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Homemade fertiliser

Thanks for that Green Aura. The chap that I refered to I think grows Comfrey so I think that a word in his ear is called for !
Michael