Lack of stock in Charity Shops

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Lack of stock in Charity Shops

Locally there is a total dearth of stock in the local charity shops. There are appeals for stock in almost all their windows locally. And the standard is falling rapidly. Even Primark, T***o and Asda clothes are appearing on the clothing rails. Curtains, towels and bedding have all but disappeared. Oh and prices have risen steeply.

Is it just local or is this a more nationwide problem? Are people really wearing their clothes longer, not donating to the charity shop or have all the bargain hunters stripped the shelves before my weekly visits?

Today the daughter's need for a king sized duvet cover ended in a visit to a real shop after all other second hand sources failed. So much for not buying anything new this year! Failed after 29 days. It looks as if I'm going to have to get the sheet and pillow cases new as well unless I strike lucky tomorrow.

Even the standard of the contents in the local skips seems to have declined.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lack of stock in Charity Shops

I think people are keeping stuff longer, or selling it on fleabay - and more people are buying from charity shops.

You should be happy - this is a sign that our ideals are now being taken on by others :cheers: I know, I know..... not as many goodies for us :(
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

prison break fan

Absolutely agree with you Flo. It's my Thursday hobby, and now not nearly as much fun! pbf

Flo

I suppose we could have made the duvet as daughter has a sewing machine but time is of the essence at the moment. And actually buying material in the quantity required for king size duvet would probably be economically out of the question.

It is certainly good that people are, in the short term at least, being more environmentally friendly with their goods (even if only for financial reasons). But it certainly makes life a lot more difficult for the devoted to second hand people like us.

It looks like the shopping is going to go down from nothing new in 2009 to buy nothing except in an emergency in 2009 at this rate. :roll: :mrgreen:

vicki
Tom Good
Tom Good

I work in a charity shop and fortunately donations are still coming through the door at the same rate as they ever have! I wonder how long this will go on for though, we are preparing for when for people start holding on to things for a lot longer.

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

i have noticed that here in Dorset,many charity shopa have put up there prices,although my local animal charity one is still inundated with all items and still as cheap as ever!
Reckon also that people will hang on to stuff or reuse or sell at boot sales.
fiona

red

recession.. and the trend to attempt to buy nothing new...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Shirley

Could it be that people are buying cheap and that these cheap goods do not last as long? If they wear out then folk are not going to put them to charity shops but more likely throw them away.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Flo

Yep certainly people are buying cheap - and yes the charity shops are selling Primark, T***o, Asda second hand at nearly the same price as new.

shell
Living the good life
Living the good life

i can buy cheaper in the euro shop than in our charity shops,one thinks its a first class boutique and the other is filled with elderly helpers who havnt bought childrens clothes since the king died,hence the fantastic prices put on things,yet sometimes i get the rare incredable bargain like a puppet house with curtains for 3.50 euro,or a three piece suite in good condition for 65 euro`s for my family room,i usually tral about 15 +miles for the more sensibly priced,

deborah
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Our local charity shops are filled with tat. And a lot of stuff is way overpriced, they cost nearly as much as new stuff would. There seems to be better quality in the mens clothing section, I don't know how some of the womens stuff makes it onto the rails.

I think people are flogging their stuff at boot-sales or on ebay.

I have loads of stuff to list on ebay but I don't know if it's worth it, nobody has any money ! I'm also waiting for the local indoor boot-sales to start, I can't be bothered standing in the cold when I could be undercover lol !

Penny Lane

I had to buy new clothes for the baby yesterday because there is nothing any good or in his size in charity shops! So much for my buy nothing new too!

I sold some baby clothes on *bay recently but with all the charges they and *aypal charge it's not worth it. Especially as I messed up postage costs on one or two items and ended up selling the goods for pennies!

I've got bags of baby clothes & don't know whether to give them to charity shops, freecycle, charity bins or other!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

prison break fan

I like the idea of Freecycle, but notice now on our local one that people are saying no boot sellers or e bay sellers, but how do you know? You have to trust people, and that's what gets me into trouble!! pbf

invisiblepiper

I mentioned this on another thread - sorry to repeat - I help Oxfam once a week, and stocks have diminished badly since before Christmas. Also - more people are buying from charity shops.
Pbf - can you go on a Tuesday morning to rummage? - new stock handed in at the weekend often goes on the shelves then - better findings! :mrgreen:
Kepp donating everyone - you would be astounded at what is raised for charity AND what bargains can still be found! :thumbright:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

prison break fan

Hi invisiblepiper, thanks for the tip!! pbf