Manchester city council step up

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
evelyn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Manchester city council step up

After 4 years of regular mithering Manchester cc have now introduced plastic and cardbord recycling to add to the glass, can and paper recycling and the garden waste recycling!

I have to say i am delited!! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

And i have orderd one of the little bins for house hold waste insted of the huge bin we have now, so the temptation (my kids mostly) to just bin stuff i feel has been sorted.

So i am very proud that because i recycle glass, cans, paper and now cardbord and plastic, i compost, my chuks sort out cooked scraps (non meat) i am only filling 1/2 a swing bin liner a week.

But i would like to do a bit better, i would like to use bio degraidable bin bags.
Do any of you know if a) they exist, and b) where can i get them?

Eve

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Manchester city council step up

Well done you! A very positive result.

Biodegradable bin bags do exist but I'm not sure about them myself. I believe that most will only biodegrade under the correct conditions and that a landfill situation doesn't provide those conditions.

Have a look at http://www.biobags.co.uk/

The Soil Association sell in larger quantities but aimed at businesses. Carrier bags rather than bin bags but can be used for the same purpose and could work out a lot cheaper.

http://www.soilassociation.org/Web/SA/s ... g?OpenForm
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I stopped using bin liners and reverted to my Mum's old way of lining the bin with newspaper - not so much for the recycle but it's definitely biodegradeable.
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Big Al

evelyn wrote:After 4 years of regular mithering Manchester cc have now introduced plastic and cardbord recycling to add to the glass, can and paper recycling and the garden waste recycling!

I have to say i am delited!! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

And i have orderd one of the little bins for house hold waste insted of the huge bin we have now, so the temptation (my kids mostly) to just bin stuff i feel has been sorted.

So i am very proud that because i recycle glass, cans, paper and now cardbord and plastic, i compost, my chuks sort out cooked scraps (non meat) i am only filling 1/2 a swing bin liner a week.

But i would like to do a bit better, i would like to use bio degraidable bin bags.
Do any of you know if a) they exist, and b) where can i get them?

Eve
Well done also but check with the council to see if they are dumping recycleable material in the landfill now prices have fell through the floor.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger