Not buying new in 2015

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Not buying new in 2015

Sheesh, now I know why I don't go to spend at the farmers' market - I pick up the odd jam and chutney from the local food co-operative that I'm a social member of (don't need to buy a vegetable share as have allotment of course) when made there's spare fruit or produce or someone has been foraging. And it's not usually farmers' market prices.

Flo

Having taken that second allotment which has required an enormous amount of digging, clearing and sheer hard labour has certainly been hard on the clothes. Worn out trousers in numbers (split one pair up the back seams), knickers (no idea how) and socks in tatters, the fixings on bras split asunder and shoes done to death.

I've walked the charity shops for ages with only one pair of trousers coming good for gardening replacements. So it's been new this week - knickers and bras are always new of course and trousers too recently, fleece tops cheaper in Millets than in the charity shops and better quality even the cheap offer at 2 for a tenner.

So it's been a bad year for not buying new but looking at the clothes in stock, next year should be not buying at all.

ina

You know you can get bra back replacements, if it's just the "fixings" that are gone? Just an idea... (I only know because the shop where I work sells them!)

You are right - charity shops are often so expensive these days that it really does come cheaper buying new. Sigh. Not what we want, but when you are on a very low income, what can you do!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

ina wrote:You know you can get bra back replacements, if it's just the "fixings" that are gone? Just an idea... (I only know because the shop where I work sells them!)

You are right - charity shops are often so expensive these days that it really does come cheaper buying new. Sigh. Not what we want, but when you are on a very low income, what can you do!
I had forgotten about bra back replacements! Must file in memory bank!

As for charity shops - fine if you are looking for the posh end and willing to pay for a good brand name but I'm not posh. Mind you it's some time since I saw high end labels in the local charity shops. Wonder if people are wearing out their good stuff instead of handing it on. Suppose that is good if it happens but I suspect that more people are shopping for clothes in Primark.

Mind you I have been good and started to use the local library again. Extensively with the recent wet weather.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We have a mobile library service and I love it. Because of the limited amount of books it forces me try new things. Occasionally they're rubbish but I've read some excellent books that I probably wouldn't have considered, given more choice.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

The library is also a place to go when you want to warm up in winter... (Ok, a mobile library won't be much good for that!) I must be one of the best customers of our local one. :)
Ina

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's really quite warm, ina. I wouldn't mind that job - she's out for 2-3 days and is put up in hotels on her way round the circuit. No cooking or washing up for 3 nights a week.
Maggie

ina

Green Aura wrote:It's really quite warm, ina. I wouldn't mind that job - she's out for 2-3 days and is put up in hotels on her way round the circuit. No cooking or washing up for 3 nights a week.
Sounds my kind of job, too! Let me know if there is a vacancy... :wink:
Ina

doofaloofa

ina wrote:The library is also a place to go when you want to warm up in winter... (Ok, a mobile library won't be much good for that!) I must be one of the best customers of our local one. :)
Burning books is reprehensible
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Flo

OK to sum up the year since November - had to buy a new purse as the opening and closing facilities stopped working on one (and yes I did a sort of repair but it failed), wrecked another pair of shoes (found that they leaked in a sudden snow storm), wore a hole in a nightie and got fed up with putting a double duvet in a king sized cover (even though it was a good cover and I liked it) as I kept losing the duvet in the night and ending up with no duvet just a cover which wasn't very warm.

Seems that all the duvet covers are all king sized in the second hand shops no matter what they say on the labels, no purses available and second hand shoes I don't do.

It wasn't essential but I replaced the shoes with two half price pairs in a sale so I shan't need any shoes next year - probably shan't need any for a couple of years in fact. I'm also waiting for a duvet cover from a sale on the internet as all else failed. Have replace the nightie with two which will see me through for years (up the sales if you can't do second hand) and replaced the chipped cereal bowls (two from the charity shop and two from the pound shop which was selling them off half price).

I'm hoping that the two pairs of trousers that will fit but are too long are still in the charity shop on Tuesday morning so that I can fill up the rail with clothes. I can then spend a couple of days turning them up whilst the weather decides to either rain again or let the soil dry out.

Oh and add to that the external hard drive that I back up camera stuff off the computer onto stopped working after all these years and had to be replaced.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

My beloved Merrell insulated boots (bought from TKMaxx for £25) have given up the ghost after eight years. I've worn them winter and summer through that time and can't find anything like to replace them.

I'm distraught and possibly housebound. :lol:
Maggie

Flo

HOW LONG?

doofaloofa

That's what she said
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

I bought them in Oldham, before we moved up here, in 2007. I didn't wear them much down there but here I've worn them most days, unless it's been sandal weather. I really miss them and have just bought a secondhand pair on ebay - £45! :shock:

Still, if they last me another eight years it'll be worth it. :lol:
Maggie

ina

I had a pair of Dickie's workboots that I just chucked out today, after 14 years or so... OK, the last couple of years I only wore them when I was helping my friend on the farm - and they do now have several leaks... But for the first 10 years or so I wore them almost constantly. The new ones just aren't as comfortable, and don't look like they'll last that long. I have shirts (and jumpers etc) that I inherited from my father, who died in 2004 - and he'd already had them for more than a decade. Most of it still perfectly OK!
Ina