Growing Spelt and Other Grains

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
mattphillips78
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Growing Spelt and Other Grains

Hi Everyone,

I am really interested in growing grains on my allotment and have just seen that you can buy a grain mill for your kitchen on this site!

I would really like to grow spelt and mill it myself to make homemade bread but i don't know where i can buy the seeds?Same with wheat etc.

Please help! Thank you very much in advance,

Matthew Phillips
The Rat Race couldn't be further away, working the soil in tune with nature

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Growing Spelt and Other Grains

The grain is the seed, and you should be able to get whole grains from your local healthfood store for the first year and then keep your own for subsequent years.

I'm interested in what others have to say, I don't think that growing is going to be hard but I know that some grains are harder to harvest and process than others - don't know which though sorry. I do know that there is a variety of oats called naked oats which were bred to be easier to process, I suspect this is because they have little or no husk. You'll have to google for seed suppliers for that one.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

mattphillips78
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Growing Spelt and Other Grains

hi!

thanks a lot for the info, we have an area of the allotment that is spare and i fancy having a go at growing spelt and milling it and making a loaf from it - will be a good challenge.

thanks again,

Matthew Phillips
The Rat Race couldn't be further away, working the soil in tune with nature