Brassicas in greenhouse?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Spuddle
Tom Good
Tom Good

Brassicas in greenhouse?

For the third year running my brassicas have been a disaster. :crybaby:
Caterpillars and pigeons have eaten their fill and nothing sems to deter them. This year I decided not to bother and have started a small patch for fruit instead.
However, it occurs to me that if I grew the brassicas inside the greenhouse I might be able to keep them pest free.
Is this possible? Has anyone tried?

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Brassicas in greenhouse?

Seems like a waste of good greenhouse space, using it to grow such hardy veg. Have you tried netting them? Works for me...
Cheers

Dunc

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I grow all my brassicas in a polytunnel for much the same reason.
I have replaced the doors at either end with frame doors covered in 3/4" fencing mesh which doesn't reduce the airflow too much but stops all butterflies dead in their tracks.

Not too sure about a greenhouse though, if it's a largish one and it was shaded, then it would be similar to a tunnel, but if it's a small one then you may have problems keeping the temperature down on very sunny summer days (remember those ?)

If you have a greenhouse surplus to requirements then give it a go, nothing ventured .......
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I agree with Dunc that it's a waste of good greenhouse space.

Having said that the best psb we've ever grown was an escapee that planted itself in the polytunnel. We left the unknown "triffid" to grow - it was obviously a brassica - and harvested a portion of leaves every now and then. When it eventually sprouted it was the sweetest purple sprouting, absolutely fantastic.

I'm afraid not much of it found its way into a pan - we snacked on it whenever we were in the polytunnel and eventually had to turf it out long before it stopped sprouting in order to plant the tomatoes.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

grahamhobbs

You can grow cabbages and calabrese over winter in the greenhouse ok, the cabbages can be eaten as spring greens throughout and calabrese should be ready mainly throughout March, with further shoots continuing to come after that. But probably by mid-April you will be wanting to plant out your tomatoes.

Spuddle
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks for all the comments.
Afraid I don't have a polytunnel - wish I did!
Yes, I have tried netting them but the butterflies seem to find a way in (and can't get out so go an a laying binge) and then it's such a hassle to get under the netting to squash the eggs/caterpillars.
The greenhouse is fairly large so maybe I'll try overwintering like grahamhobbs.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

I nver saw a single buttrefly- but my Psb was covered in eggs and some other insects...so infested I cut it down. and bagged it all for disposal. didnt pull up the stalks.and they have sprouted again.. yummy tender leaves. in salads and also cooked......
the cauli got decimated by the caterpillars.....
(am new to gardening. so didnt realise till too late.... )
I do a daily round now picking off the caterpillars, ( the chickens won´t eat them though) Oly 1 or 2 at most at present. I´m going to try netting them this year!

grahamhobbs

Grow nasturiums, I always say. Not only do they divert blackfly but also cabbage white butterflies. I'd still net the brassicas, you need to anyway against the pigeons, but the nasturiums will take the pressure off.

Spuddle
Tom Good
Tom Good

I know about nasturtiums and black fly but didn't realise the cabbage whites are partial to them as well.
Will certainly give this one a try.
Thanks.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

:salute: I´ll try that......

not doing any flowers...... but I believe nasturtiums are edible as well....
goo idea! :iconbiggrin:

Spuddle
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hadn't thought of eating them. Might try it if there's any left after the black fly and caterpillars have finished.

oldjerry

[quote="grahamhobbs"]Grow nasturiums, I always say. Not only do they divert blackfly but also cabbage white butterflies. I'd still net the brassicas, you need to anyway against the pigeons, but the nasturiums will take the pressure off.

Nasturtium flowers,same way as courgette flowers,dip in tempura and deep fry.(best flowers from nasturtiums grown in poor soil)

Elder(sambucus nigra) is a favourite early spring place for aphids to congregate(early,soft green growth),so grow a bit,creep up on them and squash'em.(Arty farty purple-leaved,pink-flowered variety,doesn't seem to work so well unfortunatly).

Spuddle
Tom Good
Tom Good

oldjerry wrote:Elder(sambucus nigra) is a favourite early spring place for aphids to congregate(early,soft green growth),so grow a bit,creep up on them and squash'em.(Arty farty purple-leaved,pink-flowered variety,doesn't seem to work so well unfortunatly).
Ah, maybe that's my problem. My veg garden is surrounded by elder so I bet the little blighters are hiding in there waiting to hit the broad beans etc.

gregorach

oldjerry wrote:Nasturtium flowers,same way as courgette flowers,dip in tempura and deep fry.(best flowers from nasturtiums grown in poor soil)
The leaves are quite tasty too.
Cheers

Dunc

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

[quote="oldjerry"]
Nasturtium flowers,same way as courgette flowers,dip in tempura and deep fry.(best flowers from nasturtiums grown in poor soil)
[/quote

Tempura ???????? thought that was paint :iconbiggrin:

Did check though , thats tempera :oops: :iconbiggrin:

couldnt you just have said batter. for us more intellectually challenged :iconbiggrin: